How to run startActivity once jME has started

I am trying to setup and email to be sent from within my jME android app. To send the email, I have created the following class:

[java]public class SendEmailActivity extends Activity {
/**
* Called when the activity is first created.
*/
@Override
public void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
Log.d(“MyDebug”, “About to create email activity…”);
super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
Log.d(“MyDebug”, “Just created email activity.”);

// Get the file to send
    Intent intent = getIntent();
    String filePath = intent.getExtras().getString("filePath");

// Create an intent to send the email
    Intent i = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_SEND);
    i.setType("message/rfc822");
    i.putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_EMAIL, new String[]{"tomsrobots@gmail.com"});
    i.putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_SUBJECT, "Motion Capture Data");
    i.putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_TEXT, "Here is the data from your latest motion capture");
    // Grab file
    File fileToSend = new File(filePath);
    Uri fileUri = Uri.fromFile(fileToSend);
    i.putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_STREAM, fileUri);

Log.d("MyDebug", "Trying to send email...");
    try {
        startActivity(Intent.createChooser(i, "Send mail..."));
        finish();
    } catch (android.content.ActivityNotFoundException ex) {
        Log.d("MyDebug", "There are no email clients installed");
    }
}

}[/java]

This code works great when I call it from onCreate inside of MainActivity. However, I want to prompt this activity from within the jME update loop. I have created an AppState on the Android side that gives me access to the jME update loop and when I start this state, I be sure to pass the MainActivity’s context to it. Inside I have this:

[java] @Override
public void update(float tpf) {
super.update(tpf);

rootNode.updateLogicalState(tpf);
    rootNode.updateGeometricState();

if (firstLoop) {
        firstLoop = false;

// This starts a new activity and sends the email with the text file
        Intent emailIntent = new Intent(context, SendEmailActivity.class);
        String filePath = Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory().toString() + "/MoCap/TomsFile.txt";
        emailIntent.putExtra("filePath", filePath);
        emailIntent.setFlags(Intent.FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK);
        context.startActivity(emailIntent);
    }
}[/java] 

This will successfully launch the email client and I am able to send the email as I would expect. However, when I am finished with the email and I should return back to the jME loop, I get a OpenGL 1285 error. Reading about this error, it looks to be a memory out of bounds error and can happen when large textures are loaded. Why is this error being reported? Also, I have no doubt that I may be trying to do this a crazy way. From what I have been reading, AndroidHarness starts up the jME application in a GLSurfaceView, is that correct? If this is the case, then jME is running in a glThread and I no longer have access to MainActivity? Or is there a way to access MainActivity so that I can start an activity without starting it from the context?

P-Worm

I doubt it will solve your memory issues. But I would implement a one time call like that using a callable. Like this:
[java]
application.enqueue( new Callable(){

public Object call() throws Exception {
            // Your stuff here...
            return null;
        }

});

[/java]

That way you don’t clutter up your update loop with stuff that will only be executed once.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up about queueing my activity. It was stupid of me to block like I did. That didn’t solve the memory issue, but I finally found the answer to my problem. I needed to add:

[java]((Activity) context).finish();[/java]

after my call to startActivity().

P-Worm

Can you please some more code showing the way you did it? How you access android methods in JME3 Game project? How you pass activity context into AppState class? I have very similar problem, because I want to launch another activity by pressing Nifty GUI button in JME3.

Thanks for help.