How to start with Jmonkey

Hello, i was current;y wondering how to start with jmonkey

what compliner to use for eclipse or netbeans

what would be the best for it… :slight_smile:

i currently wanna build an Rpg mmo like the following screenshots on the section of

screenshots the first image there is a guy >>>Jadestone - Spirits

im looking for making one of this what do i need to do so i can start on working with that

im really confused what do i download i go to the download section and

there is jmonkey 1.0 and jmonkey 2.0

and i download it and it comes on a zip file what do i do with it ?

i need advice please help me out…  :?

well thanks for your time

You're gonna create a mmo? How skilled in programming (in this case Java) are you?

Check out Project Darkstart. (google it)

Otherwise, don't use jme1. Use jm2 or other.

The biggest block to creating an RPG is that you don't have enough artists available to create the massive number of models you're going to need for the game…

i currently wanna build an Rpg mmo like the following screenshots on the section of

You sound like you haven't done any games before nor do you have much experience in (Java) programming. And you want to make mmorpg? You are bound to fail. Do something simpler first.

Artcoder said:

what would be the best for it.. :)

Eclipse and Netbeans are not a compilers, it's an IDE (Integrated development environment), java is compiled with program called javac.exe which comes with JDK installation. The best choice would be eclipse.

im looking for making one of this what do i need to do so i can start on working with that

Exctract that zip file can to access the contents. xP

But ok, if u want to get started...

1.Get latest JDK
2.Get Eclipse 3.4something
3.Check out JMonkey source code from svn repository, for that there is a tutorial on JME homepage under wiki link

Haladria said:

You're gonna create a mmo? How skilled in programming (in this case Java) are you?

Check out Project Darkstart. (google it)

Otherwise, don't use jme1. Use jm2 or other.

Well, i mastered 2 languages python,c++< put im still getting the hand of it
i know kinda of java not very good at it
i knw im trying project Darkstar but im a bit lost on that
but thanks for your help bro..
Trussell said:

The biggest block to creating an RPG is that you don't have enough artists available to create the massive number of models you're going to need for the game..

well, im a Graphic Designer, animator, And programmer  , man and im a very good artist and i have helped out
in several art project games, but i wanna build my own Mmmorpg i knw its hard but ill take the challenge
Henri said:

You sound like you haven't done any games before nor do you have much experience in (Java) programming. And you want to make mmorpg? You are bound to fail. Do something simpler first.

Well, thats true i havent made games only in python and kinda in c++ i dnt have alot of java programming experience , but man i wnna make an mmorpg

Artcoder said:

what would be the best for it.. :)

Eclipse and Netbeans are not a compilers, it's an IDE (Integrated development environment), java is compiled with program called javac.exe which comes with JDK installation. The best choice would be eclipse.

well, I see thts what i was trying to say but i forgot so the best IDE would be Eclipse oh alright
thanks

Exctract that zip file can to access the contents. xP

But ok, if u want to get started...

1.Get latest JDK
2.Get Eclipse 3.4something
3.Check out JMonkey source code from svn repository, for that there is a tutorial on JME homepage under wiki link

alright thanks for your Info :D

That's cool if you are a great artist. It doesent happen often that a great artist/desinger is also a great programmer. I havent mastered C++ yet and I think I'll stick to Java since it's so much easier and comfortable to use. If you have mastered C++ then you probably are a great programmer, but why did you decide to make your MMORPG in Java then?

I must say that JME is a great choice though. I am making my first game and its kind of insane that in just 3 months I able to produce a playable 3D multiplayer networking game without pretty much any previous experience in game programming :).

I'm using JavaGameNetworking instead of Darkstar because there was a working example integrated with JME. I actually also want to make a MMOG and I have a friend who is great designer/animator who wants to do the same. Perhaps you want to join us? :slight_smile:

Or maybe you want to join some other project.

I know couple of RPG projects:

HHexen: which seems to be dieing without any active ppl. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGf9Eut33-o

Radakan: I don't really know much about them, but they are making a single player rpg. http://www.radakan.org/home

Henri said:

That's cool if you are a great artist. It doesent happen often that a great artist/desinger is also a great programmer. I havent mastered C++ yet and I think I'll stick to Java since it's so much easier and comfortable to use. If you have mastered C++ then you probably are a great programmer, but why did you decide to make your MMORPG in Java then?

I must say that JME is a great choice though. I am making my first game and its kind of insane that in just 3 months I able to produce a playable 3D multiplayer networking game without pretty much any previous experience in game programming :).

I'm using JavaGameNetworking instead of Darkstar because there was a working example integrated with JME. I actually also want to make a MMOG and I have a friend who is great designer/animator who wants to do the same. Perhaps you want to join us? :)

Or maybe you want to join some other project.

I know couple of RPG projects:
HHexen: which seems to be dieing without any active ppl. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGf9Eut33-o
Radakan: I don't really know much about them, but they are making a single player rpg. http://www.radakan.org/home

Well Henri, Thanks man well, by the way my name is Charlie
well i havent mastered either c++  but i know all the baisc and some of the advance and honestly it feels like its getting harder and
harder everyday i just feel like giving up one day, but my Dream is to build an MMorpg it dsnt matter how much
it takes i just want to make that Real not just a Dream but true, well, im a Graphic Designer myself, but i have been
studying programming as well, and i have been focused in Animation as well, uhmm i decided to make an mmorpg
in java Because , i though it would be easy but i guess i was wrong , have u heard of Multiverse.net? it uses
the following languages python/java
im messing around with that Developer tools and i think its Great check it out!
Well, JME it is a Great choice , thats good man good luck with that
i see, well i have heard of Project Darkstar alot but never tried it,
well i would be Glad to Join you Guys, Thanks for the offer
heres my Email Deadartcore@gmail.com Msg There about Plans for The MMOG :D

Consider making it 2D. I was able to make an MMO framework in two weeks using JGame and JGN.

3D games are more difficult to make in general because you have to manipulate more data, drawing is more expansive -> need to develop smarter, more complex algorithms. Besides that people already mentioned that you'll need a large amount of content to do this, even if you have the needed skills it will take a long time to make the content as a single person.

Momoko_Fan said:

Consider making it 2D. I was able to make an MMO framework in two weeks using JGame and JGN.

3D games are more difficult to make in general because you have to manipulate more data, drawing is more expansive -> need to develop smarter, more complex algorithms. Besides that people already mentioned that you'll need a large amount of content to do this, even if you have the needed skills it will take a long time to make the content as a single person.

Well, im not currently sure about that 2D but im not sure
i just want to Build it on Full 3D but i know the consecuences of it ...
Momoko_Fan said:

What you excactly mean by MMO framework? Would a system where all players can chat and see each other move around in 3D scene and shoot each other and where there is only 1 world qualify as a MMO framework?

It might sound logical that 2D is easier, but I dont know I feel that 3D game making is actually easier :)
Henri said:

Momoko_Fan said:

What you excactly mean by MMO framework? Would a system where all players can chat and see each other move around in 3D scene and shoot each other and where there is only 1 world qualify as a MMO framework?

It might sound logical that 2D is easier, but I dont know I feel that 3D game making is actually easier :)

2D Gaming is just good for beginning to start with Java ,learning the basics and all that ,but im better off with 3D Gaming in my opinion  :D

Yes, but 2D scene, not 3D scene.
You're right to a certain extent, I had some issues with tile-based movement, because it's not really obvious how to synchronize it.
Still I think 3D in general is harder. It might be easier to do if you have a good engine, with a powerful world editor, a clearly defined art path, user interface library, and a resource management system. If you take jME for example, it lacks quite a few things that may require the user to implement. I know this because I worked on Radakan myself and found often that I was in need of features that jME did not have.

Wohooo! I have a MMO framework!!! Well, I was asking what u mean by MMO framework just to know if I have one :). I just started off with FlagrushNetworking and have added a bit more functionality.

In my opinion 2D world creation would be harder since I dont know any 2D world editors, I would still have to make my own, but with 3D game I can use any modeling program 3DsMax or Blender to make my scene xP. I understand that I probably think this way since I havent done any scenes yet :(, I just use they bumpy terrain from flagrushnetworking xD. This will be enough for my school project.

Oh, and I dont know any 2D character animation programs. In 3DsMax its easy to make animated characters with skeletal animations, but I have no idea if there are tools that I could use to make 2D skeletal animations.

Are there?

Yes in 3DsMax it might be difficult to for example put info in scene about where a door is and I need to open it in JME scene. I think I'll try to make a submesh and name all doors like door1, door2, door3. Could this work?

What do you mean by resource management system? This is just for stategies and RPG's? Mining etc?

What is tile based game? I ask since I don't really know what it means, I know WURM is tile based, so their entire scene is in piceses which all can be synced. Is that all it's about?