How to turn black shadow into less bright objects

Hello all,

I’m looking for a way to make my shadows more than just black.

I’m using one directional light that should mimic the sun but in real life the side of an object that is on the opposite side of the sun doesn’t turn black, just a lot darker. How can do this in jme?

Add an ambient light source. :wink:

@desiquintans yeah, I was trying to avoid that because it looses all the volume.

But I guess it can’t be helped…

Use an ambient light source and ambient occlusion :wink:

@zarch Thanks for the tip, but I think it’s too much for the graphic power I have.

However, I stumbled upon this little article, dunno if the monkeys are aware of this.

@kotoko said:
However, I stumbled upon this little article, dunno if the monkeys are aware of this.

What you didn't realize is that article was written by @nehon and it's on @erlend_sh site... So, yeah, I think they're aware of this. :P

Oh and what @zarch is referring to (ambient occlusion) is exactly what the article is talking about, SSAO. :roll:

now I just feel silly for not scrolling all the way to the top lol :smiley:

I thought it was someone showing another way to do ambient occlusion faster that with regular jme lol

Thanks for pointing that out regardless :slight_smile: That website isn’t supposed to be indexed by search engines, so I corrected that and put it under maintenance mode now, cheers.

@kotoko said:
@desiquintans yeah, I was trying to avoid that because it looses all the volume.

If you just want simple shadowing without using ambient occlusion, then you can change the ambient light's color to dim it. Use ColorRGBA.Gray for a midrange gray, or add your own color to customise.
1 Like

Thanks for the tip.