How to use Jmonkey in another IDE

I actually moved my project to a Windows Machine, since it is due in 2 days and I need to work on it. But I’ll try that asap.

For the initializer? Lwjgl 3 is included by default (for desktop and VR. Jme Android doesnt use lwjgl). It’s in the list of dependencies in build.gradle

2 Likes

I know by default LWJGL3 is not compiled, LWJGL2 is used by default, and you have to compile it by itself.

What do you mean by default desktop doesn’t use lwjgl? From what I see it uses LWJGL2 by default, which is part of JME.

If you go to start.jmonkeyengine.org and click preview build.gradle you’ll see lwjgl3 in the list of dependencies

Except android which includes neither lwjgl nor lwjgl-3

THis is what happens when I download run “distZip” on generating zip files.

You are hard coding the Java to be Java version 11. You should put that up that the build only works with java 11 or more.

$ ./gradlew distZip
> Task :compileJava FAILED

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':compileJava'.
> invalid source release: 11

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.

* Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

BUILD FAILED in 1s
1 actionable task: 1 executed

Edit:
No option for just a Jar file on the source. Also, something with Jar and JME, without Java. Not everyone wants to force Java in the zip file.

A new project shouldn’t really be starting with an older java than java 11. I think all older javas will soon be unsupported. I was actually contemplating putting that to java 17 assuming android doesn’t object (which it might, not really investgated yet)

Indeed, distzip does just that, no bundled jre. It’s only the os specific bundles that include a jre

Not sure i understand what you mean by this? Source of an end users project, or source of the template or something else?

1 Like

Interesting idea, and great thought, but when more than half of the users out there still only have Java 8 on their machines. It causes an issues. I understand wanting latest and greatest to code against. It forces people to upgrade.

Yes, when you are using 11 +, you need to bundle it with the program. Installing Java 11+ gets weird, Sun is not easy anymore. Then you have OpenJava that is not well known for the average person, and then Java 11+ has removed some libraries, and if you use them, you need those also.

I completely understand on Java 11+, Sun screwed the community tried to track and limit use of Java after 8. I know they have gone somewhat back but not all the way.

I use Java 8, all the time for my programs.

*Oracle

2 Likes