How to use TriStrip

Hello guys.

First, let me introduce myself. I’m a newbie in jMonkey, my name is Salva bu you can call me for my nickname (pronnuced /loder/).

I’m using jME3 for an academic infography project. I’m trying to use 3D text meshes in a scene. I have read there is no need for 3D text… well may be but i need it.

The point is I tryed to use jME2 Text3D but it was so bugged and consumes a lot of memory when (IMHO) it should be lighter. So I’m tryin to build my own class to do this and I have my doubts about using TriStrip for the extrusion. I found a home-made algorithm for the orthogonal extrusion but I would want to know what is the purpose of the TriStrip and how to use it (and iy you can provide me some low-level details, better).

Thank you very mucha and, please, continue with this amazing project. If you need help, call me.

Tristrip is for generating triangle strips, it is only useful when deploying on Android. It is not used for extrusion.

Oh, ok, ok. But I can use it to triangualete the tops of the shape beeing extruded for instance. Or not?

Have jME3 some kind of polygon triangulator?

What kind of alternatives I have?

Thanks.

I’ve no idea how relevant this will be so consider it a shot in the dark, but back in the day there was a 3D GUI project for jME. We haven’t heard from it in a while, and it appears “SpaceNet” become incorporated into a bigger platform called SpaceGraph. It still seems to market SpaceNet’s core features as a top priority though:

Human-computer Interaction Ergonomics
2D/3D vector-spaces support graphical-user-interface models that transcend pixel-based (ex: Windows, OS-X, or X-Windows applications utilizing conventional GUI frameworks) and web-page content (HTML). An adjustable virtual "camera" can see any content, from any perspective by adjusting panning, zooming, and 3D rotation.

Absolute position, size, and orientation become irrelevant; instead what matters is relative position, size, orientation, and geometric aspect ratio.

Adaptive and reactive content arrangement, instead of fixed rigid prearrangements, is more natural in a vector space because there is a virtually unlimited amount of empty "fractal" space in which content can be placed, embedded in, or moved to.