I gasped at the horror

I don’t think this needs a description except for a “OMFG!”.

http://t.co/ESEPhpqt

The complete story… On Reddit.

On the other hand, at least it was an AMD so it was probably 1/3rd the price of a similar intel mistake.

The irony is that because the AMD runs cooler, it might have survived a while without any thermal paste at all.

Still, this is a good indicator of when someone’s reach has extended their grasp.

lolz ^^

@pspeed said:
Still, this is a good indicator of when someone's reach has extended their grasp.

You would think one would learn. That guy did it twice. I mean... I don't even...
@pspeed said:
it might have survived a while without any thermal paste at all.

I can't tell it by the color as I'm no expert in thermalpasting but isn't some of that stuff even conductive? ^^
@normen said:
I can't tell it by the color as I'm no expert in thermalpasting but isn't some of that stuff even conductive? ^^

Arctic Silver is since it has silver in it.

Generic goop stuff is not, although some are, but they are rare. Only the low-end stuff is crappy enough to be conductive.
@madjack said:
Generic goop stuff is not, although some are, but they are rare. Only the low-end stuff is crappy enough to be conductive.

Okay, I just always try to not put it on any contacts ^^ Luckily good boards are coated nowadays.. But the contacts of the CPU are obviously not xD
Twice is really like.. Duh..! Reading the comments, one guy has it exactly right though "The guys said I don't need thermal paste" - "They have no idea, you need it or it'll fry", its probably just miscommunication ^^.

The thing with goop like that is that at a certain temperature it will liquify some, so if you put too much there’s always a risk of “leakage”. Contrary to what many would believe, you just can’t say “I’ll put a lot of it, that’ll be better.” It won’t.

At best, 1 mm of goop is all you need.

Arctic Silver FTW. Best thing ever.

And my AMD 6x phenom blacks came pre-pasted with a little patch. Actually, all of my recent AMDs have… I’ve collected the little tubes of thermal paste that I didn’t use in a drawer.

Yeah if you use stock coolers that works fine. For any better more silent solutio you still need to use that.

but hey look at that board, active northbridge cooling? Last time i saw that it was an intel atom XD

My old desktop system had the external fanless water cooling tower thing. It was nice because the only fan I could hear was on the GPU and power supply. It was pretty painful to move, though.

The water cooling systems that are in the case with their own fans are no quieter than the two AMD 6x machines that I built. I loaded them up with 4-5 ultra quiet case fans. I only hear my main desktop machine when the top case fan kicks in when I’m running it really hard. Otherwise, the laptop on the desk is making more noise.

I’ve had machines that sound like jet engines (to me) and it drives me up the wall… but so far these solutions have worked out pretty well and I can still hear when a fan is dying.

If I were running an intel chip then I’d definitely go back to water cooling. It was the sweetest and coolest way to keep the noise down. :slight_smile: