I want to make a RPG

I want to make a BIG RPG with jME. With scenes, quests and a good UI and AI. Could I? :slight_smile:

I mean, i could do it alone?

JME will not limit you. Neither does it have a magic “RPG” button, though. :slight_smile:

Make some simpler games first. Learn game structure, etc…

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/f/friedrichn159166.html

@pspeed said: JME will not limit you. Neither does it have a magic "RPG" button, though. :)

Make some simpler games first. Learn game structure, etc…

That is what i’m thinking. But and about the item editing (and i’m talking about 1000 items, or more), it is gonna be hard or unconfortable? What 3D formats jME support, i could use a HD object without lose the quality? Some people said that Java Engine are SLOWLY sometimes, it is right? Could you give me some idea? Anyway, THANKS, for your answer!

Java is not rendering your 3D graphics. The graphics card is.

I suggest you work your way through all of the JME tutorials. At this point in your learning process you don’t even know what questions to ask yet.

Hi

@victorqueiroz said: I want to make a BIG RPG with jME. With scenes, quests and a good UI and AI. Could I? :)

I mean, i could do it alone?

I started creating games in 1999, on my spare time. Creating a whole decent 3D game alone requires a large set of skills or one has to accept that some aspects will be less “polished”. I know a very few people able to create very beautiful 3D models and very good in programming. You can focus on a particular aspect, you can code everything or use WYSIWYG editors specialized in RPGs. Java is not an engine, pspeed is right, it is both a language and a platform. Jake 2 (Java port of Quake 2) is faster than the original C/C++ version. Java slowness is mostly a myth even though current JVMs don’t really benefit of SIMD.

What you say about Java seems to show that you’re a newbie (sorry to be harsh). Start by the beginning, learn the Java programming language, make 2D basic games first, then start making more complicated games and maybe in 10 years you’ll be able to create an MMORPG alone or you can give up now and find a tool that suits better your skills. I created a small platform/action game on my calculator (HP 48 GX) in RPL. Then, I created a small shoot’em up in Python. After that, I created a small blueprint of an online 2D fighting game. Finally, I created a tiny 3D first person shooter. Creating games is very time consuming, it requires a lot of patience. Good luck.