Implement a wire made out of steel or copper

Is it possible in JME to implement/simulate a wire? With wire i do not mean a rope made out of textiles, but wires made out of copper or steel. Their behavior is different from ropes, e.g. they are much stiffer. Some wires even preserve their shape after they have been bent.

I read a lot about the Minie Physics by @sgold but i am not sure if this is the right solution for me. I have also read about joints and hinges but here my problem is, that it is not possible to give the resulting wire the required “physical” properties.

Maybe some of you already implemented a wire with JME and can help me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t actually done this, but if I were going to try, I would start with Minie soft bodies. There are a ton of tunable parameters.

The words “ductility” and “malleability” don’t appear in the codebase, but knowing them may help you explain what you want to do.

Since all of the JME physics libraries are based on Bullet, you might also raise your question at the Bullet Forum: https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=9

1 Like

Thank you very much for the reply. I will post my solution here, if i found one :slight_smile:

1 Like