Implimenting jME Terra?

Hey

Well basically, I've downloaded and tried out jme terra, and it's brilliant, it's just that I have no clue where to start, how do I impliment it into my game?

I'm relativly new to game programming, and I still don't entirley understand the different ways of creating terrain.

In an ideal world I would like to use jME terra to dynamically load a landscape with trees and buildings in the format of .3ds, but that's not going to happen right? …

Due to lack of javadocs, or beginners documentation, I basically have no clue what to do. Could somone maybe explain to me how to maybe use jme terra with the flag rush tutorial? Or somthing on those lines?

I've checked out the source of jme terra, but still can't really understand where to start.

Thanks loads :slight_smile:

Terra is just one branch of the scenegraph. You should really create a second node on the terraNodes for fixed items ( inanimate buildings / trees ), this will allow you to lock the node and apply occasional LOD. Also create a similar quad tree for unlockable items.

theprism said:

Terra is just one branch of the scenegraph. You should really create a second node on the terraNodes for fixed items ( inanimate buildings / trees ), this will allow you to lock the node and apply occasional LOD. Also create a similar quad tree for unlockable items.

Right, still more questions going deeper into that, firstly, I don't know where to start to add the .3ds model of dynamically loading terrain, is that even possible, or do I have to use height maps? And if so how would I do that?

Also, how would I be able to access the coords which will be loaded next, or how can I place a mesh of objects onto specific coords. The dynamic loading is really what I don't understand :P

Are there any javadocs online for jmeterra?

Docs have yet to be written

Coordinates are simple you have a mapX and a pointX within the map likewise a mapY and a pointY

a map is say 128 * 128 points, so if your model is at point 160, 127 it will be on :-

mapX = 1 ( 160 / 128 ),

pointX = 32 ( 160 - 128 ),

mapY = 0 ( 127 / 128 ),

pointY = 127

try it … Just add something to the TerraView

A new version will be released that will support rebasing coordinates, that will prevent floating point inacuracy when the camera is somewhere far like mapX 23, mapY 767.