Importing animations from blender to jme3

Hi Forum,

I’ve developed a character in blender with animations and using the ogre exporter I was successfully able to export and load the character model in jme3 with two given animations : Walk and Stand. These animations would be triggered by their respective keys and functioned properly. However a problem arose when I went back to blender to create another animation, ‘Jump’. I finished creating the animation and then I deleted the previous exports so I could re export the model with the new animation. After this I went back into jme3 and converted the .mesh.xml file to a j3o binary after which I proceeded to run the program. Everything works as expected however jme3 is not able to find the new Jump animation and I am displayed with a message displaying : "IllegalArguementException : Cannot find animations named : ‘Jump’. I’ve tried everything including checking the skeleton.xml file to see if the animation was present, which it was, I also tried rearranging the order of the animations in the NLAStrip which was an exercise that proved futile. I would much appreciate any input or any type of guidance on the matter so please help me :slight_smile:

Thank you in advance
Dan.

I think you should publish your model if you want somebody to help you. I cannot imagine how to advice anything otherwise…

I think you should publish your model if you want somebody to help you. I cannot imagine how to advice anything otherwise…
Hi yag71,

It’s not the animation itself that I’m concerned about but rather why only one of the animations aren’t being loaded in jme3. Because everything works fine in blender v 2.63 and the two animations I created prior to the “Jump” animation worked perfectly in jme3 however the new animation I created and re exported into jme3 doesn’t seem to load :frowning: So if you could please maybe help me on that, I’d greatly appreciate it :slight_smile:

Thanks
Dan

Make sure you have deleted all the old j3o etc files and done a clean and build. Maybe you have an old file lingering…

I had a similar trouble once. Make sure all your actions are registered once in the timeline. If some animation is used twice, it will be imported twice, I think.

edit : I speak about the blender file. Before exporting to Ogre XML.

Hi zarch
I tried cleaning and rebuilding it and it still doesn’t work :frowning:

Thanks anyway :slight_smile:
Dan

@ yang71
I made sure of that because the animations play as displayed in the timeline and all the animations are registered to one NLAStrip

Thanks anyway :slight_smile:
Dan

Sorry Dan. No better idea without seeing the files…
Laurent.

@ yang71

Hey Yang71, I’m not able to publish my model on the forum as it is part of a school assignment and any type of distribution would get me in a crap load of trouble -_- So if there’s any other way I could give you information on my model be it the settings or anything of that flavor, please let me know.

Thank you
Dan

Maybe by mail?
Would it be incompatible with your assignment?

Distribution of any sort is not tolerated unfortunately :frowning:

Thanks
Dan

And if you distribute another model ? With the same trouble, of course.
Laurent.

Brilliant! I’ll get to it right away :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Please check again and it’ll be up by then :slight_smile:
Thank you again :slight_smile:
Dan

HEY! This post is eerily similar to my problem. I had a model with animations jump and walk, which worked, then I added stand, which made walk no longer work. I messed with the model and the walk began working, but jump did not. Messing with it again, the jump became the working animation and walk stopped working again. Stand always works.
I did this by deleting one NLA animation each time and redoing it in the action manager.
I made sure it was not a problem with my code by using Oto, which performed stunningly as usual. Here is my humble model.
Edit: This was done in Blender 2.59 with 0.5.4 Ogre Exporter. It’s the only thing I got to work after 2 days of troubleshooting / mental-self-flagellation. It was magical to see my first model appear in the scene explorer. I cried.

@joshmnky try to do like that with your model:

And use blender2Ogre 0.58! :stuck_out_tongue:

There is an example project with working animations:
http://code.google.com/p/rise-of-mutants/

blend file is included.

That worked! I think I finally got model importing down.

SimpleMan celebrates your helpful assistance.

2 Likes