Importing Models with Maya 2013

I am trying to find a Maya Ogre Export procedure for Maya 2013. There is one for the 2012 version of Maya and the versions before, but not Maya 2013 or 2014. I’ve done some searching on google and have come up with nothing. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this (I’ve also heard one isn’t around)? Or maybe even a workaround? I really want to import my models into my game, so this is a huge hindrance for me. I have to use Maya 2013, so switching is not an option for me.

The OgreExporter I have lets me export into .model, .scene, and .mesh file formats. Which can not be imported.

When I attempt to import them, I get this:

Unrecognized version number in dotScene file: 1.0
Trying to write asset failed, asset data null!
Import failed?
Could not locate saved file.

The error that is thrown:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.jme3.scene.plugins.ogre.SceneLoader.startElement(SceneLoader.java:422)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(AbstractSAXParser.java:506)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractXMLDocumentParser.emptyElement(AbstractXMLDocumentParser.java:182)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.java:353)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:2717)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:607)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.java:116)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:489)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:835)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:764)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:123)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1210)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(SAXParserImpl.java:568)
at com.jme3.scene.plugins.ogre.SceneLoader.load(SceneLoader.java:530)
at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadAsset(DesktopAssetManager.java:283)
at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadModel(DesktopAssetManager.java:369)
[catch] at com.jme3.gde.core.assets.SpatialAssetDataObject.loadAsset(SpatialAssetDataObject.java:90)
at com.jme3.gde.core.assets.actions.ConvertModel$1.run(ConvertModel.java:63)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

What I am able to do is export to .obj files. But then I have issues keeping the textures with it. The model turns completely black (yes, I have the light setup correctly.)

I am able however to set the material with code (which isn’t what I want to do, I want to build a map in the SceneComposer out of my already textures meshes)

I’m not sure but you might be able to work around it by first importing the models into Blender, which may allow you to export them correctly using the official Ogre Exporter which you can install through the SDK.

Any suggestions on what I should export with Maya to Blender?
I think I may just spend the extra money for Maya 2012.

[Edit]
I installed Blender, but I can’t seem to get it to import anything with my materials.

After some more searching on the jMonkey forums I came across a post: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/obj-mtl-textures-visible-only-with-ambient-light/

[Edit]
This is by exporting as an .obj.
Although from what I’ve read it is ideal to export to OgreMax models, this work around is fine for me.
[/Edit]

This person gave me the solution as to why my textures aren’t appearing.

<cite>@Turboloser said:</cite> Problem solved: Maya 1020 issue.

When exporting an object as .obj / .mtl file with Maya, the .mtl may look like this:

newmtl initialShadingGroup
illum 4
Kd 0.00 0.00 0.00
Ka 1.00 1.00 1.00
Tf 1.00 1.00 1.00
map_Kd Test.png
Ni 1.00

Kd is the parameter for diffuse lighting, which was set to (0.00, 0.00, 0.00). The ambient light parameter (Ka) was set to (1.00, 1.00, 1.00), so the object could only become visible using AmbientLight. Any diffuse light source had no effect. Replacing Kd 0.00 0.00 0.00 with Kd 1.00 1.00 1.00 did the trick.

Sincerely