Impressive engine

Hello,

FYI I’ve found this impressive engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F6zSgtRnkE

I tried the OpenGL version (no hw tesselation) and it’s just amazing.

Such realistic shadows is something I’m missing in JME2.

Im sure JME could make a similar demo.

How are these shadows realistic? It's probably just some form of PSSM combined with soft shadows, most engines have that. I would be more interested in the dynamic tessellation (which seems the rock paths use).

Nice environment, but there are more powerful engines out there already. (By the way, there’s a JME demo featuring with dynamic environment).

I just saw this video of Crytek Engine 3, and I was surprised by it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibb-3XfVcQg

Be careful watching something like that and make sure you're admiring the engine's features rather than the abilities of its level designers.  I think that with the proper tweaking and the same assets, jME could do the same.

Have you seen the effects that Momoko_Fan has been working on for jME3?  Excellent, to say the least.

I tried the demo on my PC… GeForce 8400M GS.

7 fps on highest setting, 640x480, DirectX11.

My card supports the latest APIs and technologies, but when it comes to actual performance, it fails miserably…

yeah you need to realise what is the engine, and what is the 3d modelers.

does JME have any way to do volumetric clouds? probobly not since its a DX11 feature. just wondering though.

What's the point of volumetric clouds if you can't even notice them being volumetric? Usually they just drain precious GPU resources whereas a simple textured skybox would be much simpler and look 100 times better.

does JME have any way to do volumetric clouds? probobly not since its a DX11 feature. just wondering though.

Volumetric clouds has nothing to do with DX11. It's just an API, that lets you access the GPU, albeit in a more modern way than older APIs. You can do volumetric clouds easily with OpenGL2.1 and DX9. Tesselation might be a different story though, since that one needs special support from the GPU or a geometry shader.

Have you seen the effects that Momoko_Fan has been working on for jME3?  Excellent, to say the least.

Totally agree with you. Unless they are using BRDF (which indie developers have no access to) you should be able to easily achieve similar results with jME3.
Take a look at this shiny ball from jME3, it looks just like that little building in the demo:

Graphics did however take the back burner recently, since I am trying to get animation and collision features for the FPS demo.

Sure,

to make a good dish you need good ingredients and good chef.

The designers have their role, so the engine.

I'm quite sure that JME3 will help us in achieving similar results.

hardware tesselation ftw

some of the stuff that momoko has produced has had me gasp as much as that did…

we really need to have the best looking jme walkthrough competition :slight_smile:

MrCoder said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkKtY2G3FbU

Wow...hardware tesselation is really ftw lol