Improve jmonkey Web

hello friends,

we are very concerned about improving the tool that we have ignored suggestions to update the website http://www.jmonkeyengine.com.

this does not mean that the web is running bad, just that there are things we can improve to make it much more interactive, after all jmonkey page is the main feature of the tool in the world and the point where we all met to share experiences and knowledge related to the tool.

personally bring these suggestions that I'd like on the page:

1 - to be shared with the facebook account, this will help the site has better recognition in the social network and that the comments of forums are easier to do without having to go through the registration, as they do in the example I attached to this post.

2 - that there was a section where people can post their developments with a brief description, a category and a website to visit the project.

3 - that there were annual or biannual competitions for projects in jmonkey and are awarded the best, with prizes or awards.

these are my suggestions for the improvement of the site (particularly I'd much as possible the third) comment if you like my suggestions or have any other ideas:).

[This is a Google translation from Spanish to English]

We are moving our site to a more powerful WordPress install, you can have a preview here: http://www.hub.jmonkeyengine.org

The possibility to use FaceBook logins exists in WP, but we are uncertain yet if we will use that function. As you can see, a special showcase possibility for external jMonkeyEngine projects with blog, twitter etc. syncing is already there. As for competitions with prizes, jMonkeyEngine is an open source project done by people in their spare time, we have no monkey money to pay for prizes :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Normen

No matter if it is not a competition for money, recognition can be with a winner on the main page  :smiley:

normen said:
we have no monkey money to pay for prizes :)

Here's your monkey money :)

@montblack, we had actually tried a documentation contest around December '09 which had a $25 prize... no entries!  Annual or Biannual contests would be fun though, as it would either push some projects out into the spotlight or prompt some people to take breaks from their long term projects to work on something short and sweet.

XD monkey money.

because I look like a good idea to organize a contest category, because I think that competition motivates learning and also it would be good publicity for us as developers to say that we have a public recognition in a tool and a good advertisement for tool to be able to show more products made in the tool and to show that somehow are encouraging developments

[Remember this is a google translation from Spanish to English and may not be clear what I mean]

montblack said:

XD monkey money.

because I look like a good idea to organize a contest category, because I think that competition motivates learning and also it would be good publicity for us as developers to say that we have a public recognition in a tool and a good advertisement for tool to be able to show more products made in the tool and to show that somehow are encouraging developments

[Remember this is a google translation from Spanish to English and may not be clear what I mean]

The translations are very clear :)

Yes, I definitely agree with the points you make.. its good publicity for everyone!  Now, on a more important topic: your screenshot tells me you're on Vista, fix that!

The translation is pretty good, it just lacks a little bit of commas and periods to add some breathing room in your sentences :wink: (You know that the translation improves if you write very formal, strict Spanish, right?)

I get what you're saying. I agree, we don't necessarily need monetary prizes. Public recognition goes a long way. We have tried to organize a few competitions before though, and there hasn't been quite enough interest. But, maybe with an enforced focus on community interaction, thanks to our re-designed site, this will soon be possible.

If you have any suggestions for any type of competition, feel free to share them right away, I'd like to hear them!

Well, here we are on the new and improved site!

All without monkey money! :wink:

ok friends, I’m going to create a new discussion to brainstorm about the contest, I think I should start looking for a catchy name.