Influencer-based ParticleEmitter candidate (mesh-based animated particles)

I don’t think my latest one should clump - because now its following the sides of the parallelogram so any distortions get cancelled out.

A visual (non mathematical) demonstration of why is quite simple:

Use the algorithm with a rectangle. Its easy to see it will be consistent.

Sheer the square to form a parallelogram. You can see that since the sheer lines are being followed by the co-ordinate the positioning is still consistent.

Fold the parallelogram in half to form a triangle. You have doubled the chance on every point but that doesn’t skew the probabilities since all are modified by the same amount.

So unless there is a hole in that logic that I’ve missed then it feels like the algorithm should be correct.

1 Like

Tree generation: This model is fairly large, but this was to show how detailed you could get using the emitter to generate foliage. The same technique could be applied to entire branches of leaves.

[video]http://youtu.be/fL8sbwommL8[/video]

5 Likes

Why not just build the foliage into the model though? I guess this approach is better if you want to be able to knock them off :smiley:

1 Like
@zarch said: Why not just build the foliage into the model though? I guess this approach is better if you want to be able to knock them off :D

Have you done this? It’s a pain in the ass. Not to mention, this way influencers can effect the foliage (wind, etc). How about leaves that fall off the tree? There are a million reasons for doing it this way. 6 hours to make a model in blender vs. 6 minutes to set up the emitter =)

1 Like

Wow… these things start looking really advanced.

In next installment:
Chainmail simulated by interlocking ring particles.
Nuclear reactions by bombarding particles with other particles if speed is big enough.
Destructible particles - if particle hits triangle edge, it will get cut in smaller pieces.
Homeopatic emitters - only one particle is emitted among all jme3 engines running in the world, but effect still looks the same.

I’m just jealous I’m not able to come up with so good looking things, so read it as a compliement :wink:

2 Likes
@abies said: Homeopatic emitters - only one particle is emitted among all jme3 engines running in the world, but effect still looks the same.

This is currently in the works… Sorry for hijacking your machine :wink:

1 Like
@abies said: Homeopatic emitters - only one particle is emitted among all jme3 engines running in the world, but effect still looks the same.

Obligatory:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0[/video]

2 Likes

What?

ho·me·o·path·ic adjective 1. of, pertaining to, or according to the principles of homeopathy. 2. practicing or advocating homeopathy.

ho·me·op·a·thy
noun
the method of treating disease by drugs, given in minute doses, that would produce in a healthy person symptoms similar to those of the disease ( opposed to allopathy ).

Ok ok, I get it. It’s a… actually no, I don’t get it or what the original phrase supposed to mean. XD

1 Like
@t0neg0d said: Have you done this? It's a pain in the ass. Not to mention, this way influencers can effect the foliage (wind, etc). How about leaves that fall off the tree? There are a million reasons for doing it this way. 6 hours to make a model in blender vs. 6 minutes to set up the emitter =)

Are the static ones still being updated every frame though? Doesn’t this prevent meshes being shared between models? How would it work in terms of paging/imposters? How does it compare to thetoucher’s fur that he showed a few months ago? (That might have been shader based, I’m not sure though).

1 Like

Homeopathy is one of the more ridiculous forms of faith healing (not that many of them aren’t). Basically they take some herb that may have some medical effect if used with any sanity and then they dilute it.

Again.

and again

and again

Until you actually end up with none of the original herb in the re-diluted water. But the water “remembers” the herb and the medical effect actually gets stronger the more its diluted.

Then they feed it to people… and charge them lots of money for it…

1 Like
@zarch said: Homeopathy is one of the more ridiculous forms of faith healing (not that many of them aren't). Basically they take some herb that may have some medical effect if used with any sanity and then they dilute it.

Again.

and again

and again

Until you actually end up with none of the original herb in the re-diluted water. But the water “remembers” the herb and the medical effect actually gets stronger the more its diluted.

Then they feed it to people… and charge them lots of money for it…

I love the line in the clip I posted… “One part per million…” “No, you’re right. We need something stronger. One part per TEN million.” lol

1 Like

@zarch

1. Yes… static = no finite life
  2. The output mesh of the particles is different from the emitter mesh. So no.
  3. This would work brilliantly for paging. I’m really excited to put together a sample vegetation system using the emitter.
  4. I couldn’t begin to answer this, as he never shared even a hint as to how his was being done.

This, however, is how blender tutorials suggest rendering grass, leaves, etc, etc.

1 Like
@pspeed said: I love the line in the clip I posted... "One part per million..." "No, you're right. We need something stronger. One part per TEN million." lol

That’s the kind of math I can’t digest. Too damn hard. 10x dilution != stronger in my world. But who am I to disagree with “doctors” and their personal versions of mathematics. XD

1 Like
@madjack said: That's the kind of math I can't digest. Too damn hard. 10x dilution != stronger in my world. But who am I to disagree with "doctors" and their personal versions of mathematics. XD

Yeah, that’s the joke. :slight_smile: And the homeopathic beers at the end were the clincher. :slight_smile:

1 Like
@pspeed said: Yeah, that's the joke. :) And the homeopathic beers at the end were the clincher. :)

I have a personal rule against watching those supposed doctors’ videos . I rage way too much. I get into a frenzy and that’s not good for my health. :wink: I think the worse, as usual, is the idiots who believe them. Sheep.

Wouldn’t it be nice if people stopped and thought for 5 mins before hopping on the stupid-train? I guess that’s wishful thinking.

(Sorry for derailing the thread… See what I did there? Ha!)

1 Like

Madjack - its a comedy sketch, not real doctors :wink:

1 Like
@zarch said: Madjack - its a comedy sketch, not real doctors ;)

Ah. Good to know. FYI I didn’t watch it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Emitting leaves on trees! I love it.
How about programmaticaly generating the trunks on an algorithm with some randomness and then using this to generate the leaves? No two trees alike! not sure how it’d go for performance but it’d look good.

1 Like
@radanz said: Emitting leaves on trees! I love it. How about programmaticaly generating the trunks on an algorithm with some randomness and then using this to generate the leaves? No two trees alike! not sure how it'd go for performance but it'd look good.

In all honesty, unless you stop and take a moment to look at the trees closely you won’t notice it. As soon as there’s a bit of movement it all becomes the same to the brain anyway. The only things the brain will notice are big differences. Height, colors and other similar characteristics.

So yeah, it could potentially be awe-inspiring to stop and look at the trees, noticing they really are all different, the cost would be too much. Anyway, that’s my opinion.

1 Like
@radanz said: Emitting leaves on trees! I love it. How about programmaticaly generating the trunks on an algorithm with some randomness and then using this to generate the leaves? No two trees alike! not sure how it'd go for performance but it'd look good.

I’ve been considering ways of using this in combination with the mesh template code I put together a while back and also some ideas I had for seeding the emitter so it generates the same particles each time using something like perlin noise.

Between these two things, you could use the emitter to generate entire support scenes over generated terrain. And each time you revisited a tile, you would get the exact same vegetation that was there prior.

Anyways… off in the future a bit, and probably an offshoot of the standard emitter. Though it would not effect the current (or final) API or usage. /shrug

1 Like