Influencer-based ParticleEmitter candidate (mesh-based animated particles)

Why do they need new names? Just put them in a new package :smiley:

Some should have new names to prevent confusion, but you don’t have to for absolutely everything…

Isn’t the emitter more a controller than an emitter? It doesn’t just emit them after all… so you could call it a ParticleController.

1 Like

There was a minor delay. =)

I had to add the other two billboarding options that I felt were critical for producing some fairly standard effect.

To give an idea as to why, Here is one of them: Billboarding along the velocity where Up is Z… sorta critical for explosions and such. Vid shows you can still rotate along relative axis)

[video]http://youtu.be/0Sxzi5JrBGo[/video]

1 Like

Oh crap…

@nehon
There is an update that will need to happen at some point for the emitter to support generating real-time grass, leaves, fur, etc.

1. Currently the emitter uses the direct center of the face to emit from, this needs to change to a random point on the face
  2. Faces of a mesh will need to be traversed and categorized by size at loadtime. Once categorized, weight should be used to opt for faces with larger coverage area, etc.

Anyways. Just notes for future use. The emitter has far more potential than what you’ll be getting up front.

1 Like

Running some last minute tests before finding this a new home.

Explosion… muhahahahaha

[video]http://youtu.be/S3xERqlxb3w[/video]

2 Likes

Is that explosion a single emitter?

1 Like

That looks seriously cool…!!! 8)

When will this new emitter form part of the jme core?

What is your estimated time of completion if any?

1 Like

yeh looks awesome ^^, I think you may even be working too hard! don’t knacker yourself out ^^ <333.

Has this been tried on the Android phones which fail with the current Particle Emitter?

also @t0neg0d i notice you ask a lot of java design questions, have you read this book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Effective-Java-Second-Joshua-Bloch/dp/0321356683

@zarch recommended it to me a while ago, and although I’ve still not finished it, and really need to go back and read it from the start again ^_^, it is really good

1 Like

Woah… does this guy ever stop making awesomeness?
I vote @t0neg0d for core dev :smiley:

1 Like

I downvote her for core dev :slight_smile: I think the formalness of it may actually dampen HER spirits. She likes just doing stuff, what ever she wants, when she wants. She gets on well with @nehon the most, not so much he others ;), so maybe she can have an exclusive tag

2 Likes

Very cool stuff!

1 Like
@wezrule said: I downvote her for core dev :) I think the formalness of it may actually dampen HER spirits. She likes just doing stuff, what ever she wants, when she wants. She gets on well with @nehon the most, not so much he others ;), so maybe she can have an exclusive tag

t0neg0d is a girl? hmm… shouldn’t it be t0neg0ddess then? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yup, unless she has been fooling us all, and is actually a really nerdy fat guy living in a basement, who masterbates over my forum posts. Either way, keep up the good work <3

2 Likes
@wezrule said: Yup, unless she has been fooling us all, and is actually a really nerdy fat guy living in a basement, who masterbates over my forum posts. Either way, keep up the good work <3

The image this just created… Argh. It cannot be unseen. X(

2 Likes

Hehehe
I think this emitter will allow for some really nice spell effects :slight_smile:

2 Likes
@kwando said: Is that explosion a single emitter?

It’s a couple emitters with varying particle counts from 1 to 30

1 Like
@ndebruyn said: That looks seriously cool...!!! 8)

When will this new emitter form part of the jme core?

What is your estimated time of completion if any?

It’s done. I’ll be moving it out to a repo today

1 Like
@wezrule said: yeh looks awesome ^_^, I think you may even be working too hard! don't knacker yourself out ^_^ <333.

Has this been tried on the Android phones which fail with the current Particle Emitter?

also @t0neg0d i notice you ask a lot of java design questions, have you read this book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Effective-Java-Second-Joshua-Bloch/dp/0321356683

@zarch recommended it to me a while ago, and although I've still not finished it, and really need to go back and read it from the start again ^_^, it is really good

I have =) I remember the thread where it was recommended. I have gone through it once in full and multiple time in sections…

Things stick with me when I have a chance to use them in practice. (plus, I don’t mind looking like an idiot so I can learn… thus the stupid questions).

1 Like
@monkeychops said: Woah... does this guy ever stop making awesomeness? I vote @t0neg0d for core dev :D

Thanks really a nice compliment… but… alas… I’m a buffoon.

1 Like
@wezrule said: Yup, unless she has been fooling us all, and is actually a really nerdy fat guy living in a basement, who masterbates over my forum posts. Either way, keep up the good work <3

I was gonna keep up the facade. But, I can see that your psychic and I have no hope of not being exposed! This post is getting some extra spankage… muhahahahaha

1 Like
@t0neg0d said: Thanks really a nice compliment... but... alas... I'm a buffoon.

Smartest buffoon on this forum then :stuck_out_tongue:
You have made the best particle emitter, the best gui system and the best paging system… all of which I consider absolutely essential to the success of my future AAA title :slight_smile:

2 Likes