Instructional videos for wiki and jME promotion

[quote=“Relic724, post:4, topic:31901”]
Honestly, the only thing I could think of that I would want would be a Video Editing program that I could understand,
[/quote]OK, so what video editing programs have you looked at? You’re on Windows, so you can get Movie Maker for free, right? I don’t know how comprehensive it is, but in my experience with iMovie I’ve found that it suffices plenty for projects such as these.

There’s also the option of dual-booting Ubuntu on to your computer, as there is actually a surprising amount of high quality video editors available for Ubuntu/Linux. (Oddly enough the winner of this mini-review is Blender. Funny, since they’re not renowned for their intuitive interface, but worth a shot I guess).

I’m not trying to wiggle out of any spending here, but in my experience with video editing programs you make due with the free stuff or you pay in the hundreds (Final Cut Pro).

Edit: Lightworks does look kinda promising though.

[quote=“Relic724, post:4, topic:31901”]
and someone to soundboard off of to “am I making any sense?”
[/quote]I’m sure there are several of us willing to provide feedback if we can just get this properly off the ground first.

yeah, np. I haven’t looked at any of the recent options for video editing software, recently.

The windows Movie Maker that I looked at limits video clips to “1 minute 30 seconds”. You can do still frames of pictures for as long as you like though. :wink:
Ubuntu is great, I’ve worked with it… and due to the fact that I’m on a wireless network that I’ve constructed … I was stopped by PITA when trying to obtain a driver for my netgear wireless adapter… I could not access the storage (and I am in an environment that really doesn’t play friendly with wired situations… I won’t go into more detail than “pets and pests”)

and yes, you are correct in your experience with video editing programs… I happened to see that too :dizzy_face: no, do not spend money on my account. I am perfectly fine with my “shoot from the hip” format, and if you remember the:

is the format I would actually try to provide for @normen.

as for the second point, awesome! :smile: Yes, that would be invaluable.

Just edited it in so you might have missed it. See Lightworks mentioned above. Looks good. Apparently it’s got pretty high spec requirements though.

Awesome! Checking it out on my hardware now! :heart_eyes:

@nehon, er… I’ll be playing with this toy, for a little bit… er… rather than… the final bug hunt… make sure to blame @erlend_sh gratuitously for it… :laughing:

yeah… I want to try to make the second video for the DevBlog Bug Hunt with it to test it and my computer…

Later all!
I’ll be resurfacing with something … here in a couple of days…

I moved a post to a new topic: Where did the feature tour go?

Might be worth checking out DaVinci Resolve as well at DaVinci Resolve 18 | Blackmagic Design

Haha, cool!

I’m already hooked though… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I will say that I’m enjoying the “carp” out of Lightworks…

The first two are what I needed … the third… well … cute lady. I mean GREEN SCREEN! yes, green screen! that’s what it was… :laughing:

I will check out davinci resolve right quick though…

edit: hehehe… eh… hehe…
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/color
at the bottom…
this is just a “plugin” for another editor… isn’t it?
and looks to have a 1k price tag… or a… 30k price tag…
er… :sweat_smile:

DaVinci Resolve 11 is a full editing program and the Lite version is free to download and use. Still very powerful.

Oh, OK!

Cool, thanks for the heads up! :grinning:

My 2c, blender as a video editing mode (VSE).
The best tuto I saw about VSE: Blender Video Editing (2014-2015)

1 Like
2 Likes

^^ BEST. NO. EVER. Where did you find that one!? well, obviously Youtube… Good Find, @normen. :laughing:

@david_bernard_31 : it certainly is powerful, however, it does not look to be something that I can easily understand. This would be for my learning for later on… but not something that I can intuitively/easily jump into. oh… and yes, it is free.

Blender is probably best suited as a video editor for people who are already comfortable with it.

As far as alternatives to After Effects goes though, Blender is probably as good as it gets. But that’s polish stuff, i.e. not relevant at this point.

1 Like

In fact, VSE was my first real use of blender before Modeling :slight_smile: . The linked videos were a big help, ease to follow and to apply (far better than the online doc). But VSE has also some limitations.

1 Like

Hi all,

It’s me from “Derp land”. I got seriously sidetracked for a couple of weeks learning Lightworks and playing Dwarf Fortress to record video to play with. It’s springtime here in Goodwell, so for the past week I’ve been refraining from jumping into code so that I can attempt house cleaning for spring. My house is more organized now and I’ve caught up on a lot of pending IRL tasks. WOOT! I’m back on task for getting stuff rolling on the video side of things…

@nehon or @erlend_sh, what font would you like me to use for the JME video splash screen? I would like to use the font that is on the 3.0…

but yeah, I’m cobbling stuff together with what I’ve learned thus far… I want to make sure that y’all have a copy available at core if it turns out well. edit: I guess I should ask: What is the name of the font used?

Game on,
Charles

The font is Foo.

http://www.dafont.com/foo.font

It is free for commercial use. :thumbsup:

Awesome,

Thanks @erlend_sh, I’ll d/l it. Working on a simple flash n fade, atm, whilst trying to get my brain wrangled from cleaning back over to coding.

Later on,
Charles

Please take note that the branding of the sdk has been updated on master:

Hey all,

Here’s something that just popped out the hatch. It’s my first shared Lightworks edit…

I slapped some stuff down, and here’s what came out. Thoughts?

edit: oh, and I have a wall paper for folks to enjoy from the final frames:

3 Likes