Introduction to jME3

Hi,
i’m studying information technology student at a german university.
In the course Software Engineering I worked in a team of 5 people.
Our goal was to create a turn-based adventuregame and I was responsible for the frontend.
A requirement for the project was to use java. So I decided to use the jME3 SDK.
The main problem for me as a beginner was to create a clickable field, because i knew nothing about ray casting.
So I created a small summary of my acquired knowledge and made a small presentation for my classmates.
You can read it here ( password: jME3 )
Finally, I must mention that the document is written in German and I will write a text here if you want me to explain something.

Have Fun,
Jan

Hallo,
ich studiere Informationstechnik und musste in den letzten Semestern, mit einem Team aus 4 weiteren Studenten, ein rundenbasiertes Abenteuerspiel in Java entwickeln. Deshalb entschieden wir uns das jME3 SDK zu benutzen. Da ich im Frontend tätig war und absoluter Anfänger im Bereich der Spieleprogrammierung bin, musste ich mich von vorne in das Thema einarbeiten.
Um das erlangte Wissen mit meinen Kommolitonen zu teilen, schrieb ich ein kleines E-Portfolio und hielt zudem eine kurze Präsentation in der Uni. Das ganze kann hier ( Passwort: jmE3 ) nachgelesen werden. Darin geht es hauptsächlich um die Grundlagen und Ray-Casting (wie man Objekte in der Spielewelt anklicken kann).
Für Fragen oder ähnliches einfach hier reinschreiben, ich hoffe ich kann euch dann weiterhelfen.

Bis dann,
Jan

When you first started working with JME did you find the tutorials? And if not, what do you think made you miss them?

I mention this since picking/ray casting specifically has its own tutorials. Not trying to detract from what you’ve done… just trying to figure out what makes the tutorials hard to find for someone who was clearly very motivated.

Hm I tried to open it, but both given passwords are not valid.

Aynway great to see other students using jme :slight_smile:

@Empire Phoenix: The password should be “jME3”. The Password in the german section is wrong (because it’s case sensitive). I’m sorry.
I can also upload at another filehoster, if it still doesn’t work.

@pspeed: The main reason was to motivate my classmates, because when they get started easily with my small introduction they maybe want more of jME3 ( like me :wink: ).
The tutorials helped me a lot, because they’re very practical! As a game development newbie i didn’t know that the technique is called ray-casting and couldn’t find it immediately. I also didn’t find a tutorial for strategie games. I mean something like: How to create a game scene like a chessboard or a sliced playfield where you can move units on. My solution was to implement it with “quads” that were generated via a loop and used ray-casting to make them clickable. But i think this couldn’t be the right solution, especially when i think of open world games. I’ve not figured out how to lay a grid on a scene and use it to move units. I’m still interested in the correct solution!

Well for inifite worlds you usually have a different approach,
you split the data and the visualisation.

Eg for a strategy game with a grid and infinite world, you only need to display the closest x boxes.(basically you could reuse the same boxes the whole game, and just have a offest stored into the actual game data.

As for different ways of the grid,
there are several solutions, but each has downsides.
-> Eg using line meshes, the linex would always be x pixel no matter the distanc
-> using a texture you might get mipmap issues.

ect.
This is very game dependent, and using boxes in not necessarly a bad solution. (in fact the largest downside of it would be the amount of objects, using a batchnode might helpt here however)