Is Blender3D viable solution for level design

Seems to me there is a whole lot of opinions regarding this topic.
Thanks for sharing all your opinions.

Is there any way I can test this and tell if many geometries share the same mesh data?

You can iterate through all of your Geometry and see, I guess. If they are the same then they will be == the same. Or you can print the System.identityHashCode()… though I think maybe Mesh doesn’t implement toString() so you might get that automatically if you just dump them.

1 Like

Cool, thanks I will have a look at that.

Hi, FYI I do “everythings” in 3D in blender and everythings in 2D Grid in Tiled. They are both very generic and Level design should be just data.

Steps:

1. Modeling and making meshs
  2. Add properties to node
  3. Read it and convert to jME3 format (you should use a customizable asset loader). Logic and properties → States, Controls, Components. 3D Mesh, Textures, Shader → Mesh, Textures, Shaders (of course)
  4. Additional editing in SDK with Spatial Properties
  5. Click the Run button. Profit!
1 Like

I’m not sure if this makes a difference when using xbuf or not, but in Blender there are two duplicate options.

Shift+d: Creates a copy of the object, two identical meshes that can be edited independently of one another.

Alt+d: creates an instance of the object, both objects share the same mesh data. When you edit the mesh of one the changes are reflected in the other.

1 Like