Is jme dyeing?

I noticed that it both mojo’s and renanse’s logs it mentioned that they were bored of jme. I also noticed that nun of the new feathers in code review were being added. Is any one besides me working on new feathers for jme?

Please do not let jme dye.

1. Only feature that has been shown that it’s ready is the GLSL support, and it hasn’t gone in simply because I haven’t gotten the latest code yet due to time issues.

2. Renanse and I have worked on jME for well over a year pretty much non-stop, and that tends to burn one out, so we are taking a well deserved break trying new things.

3. There are an average of 17 postings a day on the forums with people using it. And that average is quickly rising.

4. It’s the holiday season, things tend to slow down around then.

5. It’s an open source project, there tend to be lull’s in code committing now and then as it’s no one’s full time job.

6. Stop panicking.

I’m really looking forward seeing mojo and renanse join forces and make that super game :slight_smile:

"mojomonk" wrote:
1. Renanse and I have worked on jME for well over a year pretty much non-stop, and that tends to burn one out, so we are taking a well deserved break trying new things.
Hey have a break ! This 3D engine is wonderful, you've made an awesome work, but you can have some breaks to do something else and come back to jme later... We won't ban you for that :P
"Per" wrote:
I'm really looking forward seeing mojo and renanse join forces and make that super game :)
Me too, this could be very interesting !

So, mojo and renanse (and all others people who have contributed), a lot of thanks for your great work ! jME won't die, even if you stop making commits. It's an open source project, and everybody can continue it (me included).

Chman

My BSP code should be in for review by january.

A note to badmi :

The features jME now needs are advanced ones, like BSPs (Thanks to Cep21), and those can’t be implemented in a couple of days… It can take a lot of time (some months) to implement an advanced technique :slight_smile:

Chman

not forgetting some effects that im working on :slight_smile:

DP

"Chman" wrote:
The features jME now needs are advanced ones, like BSPs (Thanks to Cep21), and those can't be implemented in a couple of days... It can take a lot of time (some months) to implement an advanced technique :)
Chman
And it may take more than one developer. I'd like to have some sort of open discussion on that map thingie some day :)

Well, if what jME currently does is dying, I wouldn't be too afraid of it :)
"batman.ac" wrote:
I'd like to have some sort of open discussion on that map thingie some day :)

What about an IRC chat one day with all the people who want to talk about that ? We could define a rendez-vous...

Chman :)

I guess that I am two pessimistic. I am glad to hear that jme is hear to stay. :smiley:

The thread title made me panick.

Luckily I read Mojo’s post before rushing off and making another “Henny Penny the sky is falling”(-Rumsfeld) thread.

Throwing in my own 2 cents here (yes, I’m good at that…)

I was (and am still to some degree) definitely feeling very burned out. Much of it is general life and as Mojo mentioned earlier, volunteer type projects tend to take a back seat when life rears its ugly head. Not only that, but I personally have this feeling that jME is getting a bit strung out by some of the tangents that are being introduced as supposed core elements here on the forums. Mojo has done a good job at fielding this, but still the pressure is there.

Fortunately, Mojo and I had the chance to meet in Seattle this Christmas break for a bit of lunch and a stroll around Pike Place market. We didn’t talk about jME all that much, but I did come away feeling a lot more positive about jME in general. We all know Mark is a great guy and now I can say that he is in person too… hehe.

Still, my impression is that while jME has come a long way to becoming a professional quality API, to reach the next level, some changes might need to be implemented. Things like cleaning what we’ve got, some design reviews and making a clear cut of what is pure jME and what is some users add-on components. This might turn a few people off I imagine, but a project that tries to please everyone will ultimately end up being an unsavory mash of ideas that works for no one.

Obviously this is just my take on things and not an official plan, so take it as you will. :slight_smile:

I think this is a great point, Josh.

One thing that struck me that makes sense from our meeting is there is a lack of official direction. You mentioned that a user stopping by for the first time would read some of the posts on here thinking that it’s the official direction of jME when we have no intention of heading that way.

I think it’s great that so many people are adding code and their two cents, but there needs to be a clearer direction and Renanse and I need to man the helm better to steer us in that direction. Otherwise, jME will just drift and become a bloated library without a clear focus. This needs fixing.

I don’t want to exclude anyone from anything, but we as the “leaders” of the project must start making hard decisions to keep things on track and keep jME as the best library it can be.

There needs to be an official voice of the future of jME and not allow it to be diluted by the suggestions made on the forums.

Nothing more to add.

Mojo’s and renanse’s thoughts are surely the best ones for this project.

Chman

As a newcomer to jME (about a month now) I can tell you that this project compared to many other open source projects appears to the newcomer to be very alive. The sheer number of new systems being disussed and or implemented each day is amazing. I think pretty much anyone coming in would recognize that there is a good community here that is stepping up to help everyone out and drive jME’s development forward. An official vision/roadmap would be nice for some mid-term planning and to get everyone to rally around conquering some bigger long-term problems (like portals/bsp). It would also let new people know what is and is not yet fully implemented and when those features might appear so you don’t get “when will we get feature X?” questions, (not that I see too many of those on the forum).

As for mojo and renance losing interest, well, you couldn’t really tell from their activity on the forums, they’re all over the place! :smiley:

Well, thanks for the support, and I just ask you to be patient with Renanse and I. We need to figure out how we want to handle this, and treat jME more than just a hobby project… who knows it might become more than just a hobby.

As a warning there may be a point where we might appear overly strict but we are doing what we feel is necessary for the future of the project and doing what is best.

Renanse and I are actively discussing where to go from here, but one thing we agree on is we will be freezing code soon to release 0.8. We will then work hard on 0.9 cleaning up and unifying code and fixing all known bugs. Well will do our best to do this quickly. During this time, no new features will be added, but please continue working on such things as BSP/Portals, shadows, etc. These will then be added in as seen fit after 0.9 is complete. After 0.9, jME should have a stronger foundation and a clearer path.