Is MonkeyWorld still being developed?

Hey i was just wondering, is there still development on MonkeyWorld? I haven't seen anything about it for a while.

If I have understood right it is under developement but those guys are just too busy at the moment. Hopefully they will have some free time in near future.  :expressionless:

o well, i guess that's why it's open source :slight_smile:

Yes, MonkeyWorld3D is still under active development.  It is true that paying careers have slowed the release cycle but it is not dead.

Outrunner and tGiant give the green light for release dates so maybe they can hint at the 3.0 timetable.

Question about MonkeyWorld 2.0

I just watched the texturing video tutorial, but whenever I select a texture to cover my landscape in, I can't remove the texture. Also the "advanced" buttons stays grey even though the person in the tutorial -can- click on it. I've followed every stap in the manual and the video tutorial but I don't understand why it's disable

Hey Darklord.

I'm able to reproduce the problem on Win32.  Are you using the Windows distro or source code?

As soon as I get an answer I'll post it.

Darklord,

Make sure that one of your Textures (Texture - 0, Texture -1, etc.) is selected.  This will trigger both buttons to be enabled.  If it persists please reply.

Thanks.

Ben

It doesn't even show those names

Thanks.  Please paste the last lines listed in your command line window that relate to the texture adding.  Is the last line "Texture = null"?

I have two environments one works fine the other reproduces your problem.  So, now to find the differences.

You are correct, sir!

Two different installs from the Win32 2.0 release.  One works fine the other reproduced the problem until I began re-importing the images. 

I tested with new workspaces, using images from the functioning workspace, variable sized images/formats…all failed.  Then something clicked and it worked fine.  Now I've got to find what caused it to work.  I'll have a lot of time to look into it tonight.  Thought you would want to have some info.

Hope you find it! Thanks in advance for the trouble! :slight_smile:

Ok.  I've found a workaround but not a coded fix.

The texture lines need to be removed under the Terrain tag within the level's XML file.  The level's XML file is located in your context directory (workspace).  Open the XML file with a text editor and remove the tag line for any terrain textures; these start with <texture apply=.  They won't have that number as listed in the screenshot but rather the name of the image you added.

It worked for a while but unfortunatly im having the same problem again! (Texture = null and the name being all weird just like before)

Tried to edit the XML file but this time the line I had to remove (and which made it work) wasnt in the file. What can i do this time?

Thanks in advance

This javamonkeyworld is buggy as hell… not even a alpha build. Every single action seems to throw a exception, and nothing makes sense.

First of all it is MonkeyWorld3D not javamonkeyworld !!!

Hi Darklord.

I see what your problem is and got the same problem previously, but

can you please explain the exact steps you applied to get to that problem?

I want to try and replicate it!

tGiantLabs said:

First of all it is MonkeyWorld3D not javamonkeyworld !!!!    :evil:

Hi there people, I am back and was on holiday for 4weeks.

Appel, I am a bit offended. Me and Outrunner really worked hard on this editor. Maybe

it is too complex for the simple mind . . . . :|

Have you tried looking at the tutorials and the user guide?

I know it is not a master piece, but you have to remember that it is still under development and

we really struggle with getting people to test it!

Also, this is something we do for a hobby and we all have full time jobs.

So, if there is something that you don't like, please feel free to comment in the forum!

Thanks.

Ok, I was probably too rough in my post. Sorry about that.

However, there are many errors in it. I did mess around with it more after I posted last night, went through the manual and tried to figure out how things work.

But simple minds think simple :)

- It's not very convenient to modify the heights of the terrain. I've used a editor in a game called Battlezone 2, and it is a very convenient productive interface. Of course that sounds like "why can't it be more like what I'm used to!?". I could send you some screenshots if you want and explain the interface.
Some height toolbar for brushes are probably warranted; like rectangle brush, circle brush, soft/firm/exact, blending brush etc.
Coloring the terrain is needed too. Is that possible?

- Simple things how you view the terrain (camera) need to implemented, pressing WASD keys to move forward+backward+right+left, press + and - to zoom out and in, press left+right+up+down arrow keys to tilt the camera are totally missing. Moving around with the mouse isn't exactly convenient.

- I still haven't figured out how I texture the map properly. I've been able to set a texture for the whole terrain, and it looks horrible. How can I paint the map with my textures?

I'm sorry, I haven't gone through the whole manual yet, so maybe some of my comments aren't warranted.

But it seems like the fundamental user design (front-end) got all messed up. Maybe you guys need a new perspective?
What is your role-model that you are working from (idea of a map editing app) ?
Ok, I was probably too rough in my post. Sorry about that.

No problem.
However, there are many errors in it.

We know this and we are trying to get all those errors for version 3.0!
It's not very convenient to modify the heights of the terrain. I've used a editor in a game called Battlezone 2, and it is a very convenient productive interface. Of course that sounds like "why can't it be more like what I'm used to!?". I could send you some screenshots if you want and explain the interface.

This is a good idea and I think we can leverage from other editors. Having different painting techniques is also very good idea. We will look into that.
Painting with the brush on the terrain with some texture is not yet possible. Now that jME supports terrain spatting we might have a look at it.
press left+right+up+down arrow keys to tilt the camera are totally missing

We will add this in the next release.

This is a world editor and not a geometry editor and that is one of the reasons we didn't add other perspectives like front, side and top to the editor.
We will try our best to get these thing in for the users!

I must applause you for a thorough and good manual. Not many that bother with making it, and I believe it makes up for many of the bugs in the program.

Regarding that perspective, I'm just talking about being able to move the camera around with the keyboard, like you currently can with the mouse. Pressing up_arrow for instance would for instance tilt your camera to so it looks directly top… a 90