Is there an estimated date for jME 3.0 final version?

Hi,

Is there an estimated date for jME 3.0 final version?

• mazander

No, but in 2011 we guess

May I ask the date about Beta? I’m just interesting. Thanks.

Also in 2011 :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks. Is there a list of features are planned to implement before final version? Also a list “not ready” features that currently under implementation would be nice?

No, you can look at the googlecode issue tracker but thats not defined either. What do you want with this info anyway?

Actually, we just want to know what to expect from 3.0. Bugfixing, API changing, JMP developing or new features in the engine? Thanks.

Just trying to find a replacement for Java3D for a commercial software. I think the best choices are jME2, Jme3 or Ardor3D. Jme3 seems to be the most active, but the it is on alpha state and it misses Clipstate.

mazander said:
Jme3 seems to be the most active, but the it is on alpha state and it misses Clipstate.

Ok, so why not just ask about the clipstate then? Afaik theres multiple solutions for clipping parts of the scene by now.

mifth said:
Actually, we just want to know what to expect from 3.0. Bugfixing, API changing, JMP developing or new features in the engine? Thanks.

Again, there *is no* roadmap. If we tell you about this or that feature and it doesn't go to the engine for some reason then we'd be liars.. And who would have thought we'd have a kinematic RagDoll with animation blending support just some months ago? Best way to follow the development is following the forums really.

Thanks for so quick replies.

I have asked about Clipstates and the resoIution is to implement a customized shader. So, it is doable. See http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/groups/general-2/forum/topic/clipstate-in-jme3/

I was asking about feature plans because like mifth I wanted also some estimate when the stabilization (bug fixing) starts.

1 Like

Guys, why do you think we commit? Adding limericks to the code? Bugfixing and implementing of functions is in progress all the time… Use the engine and report problems and you contribute to its stability more than expecting some etheric version number to suddenly solve all your problems…

1 Like

Personally, it’s when open source projects like this go “final” that I get really scared. There’s usually a several month period of less activity since there has to be a balance of “do we patch this in the stable branch and potentially mess up the API or put it in the unstable branch”. For some projects there is a significant period of time where using the unstable new HEAD is not viable for a production environment.

It has to happen eventually. But I like where things are right now. Bugs get fixed quickly. The API changes if it’s broken. But things are otherwise very very stable. I’d be happy if this nirvana period lasts until I ship my game. :slight_smile:

Being the manager type, I do get where you guys are coming from. We’ve been in the same position ourselves when it comes to BuddyPress, the CMS that powers this website. However there is a bottom line to this, which ties into what @pspeed is pointing out.

Can I base my project on jMonkeyEngine?

• If it has all the features you need: YES

• If it has the essential features you need, and the remaining 'specials' you can make yourself: Yes, but you will have to assess the extra effort needed to "complete" the engine for your purposes.

• If it has the essential features you need, but you're unable to fill in the missing 'specials': Maybe. If your (game) project can be successful without the 'specials', you could focus on the essentials, meanwhile hoping for the 'specials' to come in time, and maybe also teach yourself the necessary skills to expedite their development.

• If it's missing the essential features you need, but you can make those yourself: Maybe, but again, you need to assess the extra effort, and when you're missing essential features, there's bound to be a big workload ahead. Is there another software with a different feature offering which might cover more of the features you'd rather not try your hand at yourself?

• If it's missing the essential features you need and you're unable to develop those yourself: NO
    A feature on a roadmap means nothing. We are humans; at any time we could get run over by a bus. Or get a really bad cold... Either way, the roadmap can never foresee the future.

I announce the final and perfect jme3 version for 6.10.2011 at 11:15am

http://www.dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/00000/5000/600/5652/5652.strip.gif

4 Likes

Heheh… “Paul, why do all of these important numbers have 42, 34, and 69 in them somewhere?”

1 Like