Is there any significant use of jme in third party projects?

Hi there,

I looked around and do some investigation on jme. I was surprised that there are no third party projects are using the engine. But why not? What is your intention for writing jme? Is it an educational project?

Greetz

Are you sure? ^^ Even the google play store application uses jME, several games on steam do as well :wink:

Edit: Oh… I meant to say… Hello Peter!

3 Likes

http://jmonkeyengine.org/showcase/

That is all?

@Plenker said: http://jmonkeyengine.org/showcase/

That is all?

Hello Peter!

4 Likes
@Plenker said: Hi there,

I looked around and do some investigation on jme. I was surprised that there are no third party projects are using the engine. But why not? What is your intention for writing jme? Is it an educational project?

Greetz

This is literally dripping with backhanded insults… proper trolling would be to come outright and say it, I guess. Are you just practicing or is this your best attempt? :wink:

Sorry, if I am misunderstood by someone. I try to find out if learning jme is a good invest of time. I look around to see if there are any commercial projects using it. that is all. no tricks. no trolling.

So far I found no indy project using jme that is sold on steam. Maybe they hide the usage?

Here
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=steam+jme3+game
Hello Peter

@david.bernard.31 said: http://www.indiedb.com/engines/jmonkeyengine/games

Thank you for the list. But I can’t agree that it lists professional projects. All screenshots showing bad textured 3d scenes. Nothing really worth to download. If I am right, most are not downloadable, what means they are more techdemos.

Some are real games. from my limited knowledge:

• ‘Le voleur de vent’ is available on play store
  • ‘Chaos’ is in closed beta test

I agree about bad textures, visual vs commercial engine like UE4, unity, torque… But not so bad vs free/opensource engine panda3d, ogre, urho3d,…
Part is due to the engine, and part to the artist.

1 Like

Nope, there is no EA/Activision jme3 game. Nope, i would not know of any AAA studio using jme3. If you plan to learn jme3 in the hope some big dev will hire you, you are probably at the wrong place.
Beside that, an average game probably consists out of 99% game related code and 1% engine specific code. Transferring your knowledge to some other engine should not be that big problem.
If you want to learn for yourself jme3 is a good start, but if you want to learn something for your curriculum vitae go for Unity/UDK/CryEngine.

Jme3 is currently used mainly by indi devs, which usually don’t have the budged for high quality assets/textures… (You know that thats the part where most of the million budgeds go)

@david.bernard.31 said: Part is due to the engine, and part to the artist.

Agree, the engine is lacking features when it comes to proper lighting/shadowing, all other graphical issues are heavily artist dependent. Even the lighting issue can be covered by keeping the world static and baking the lightmaps…

When I was talking about third party usage, I was thinking about indy developers - sorry to let this point unclear.

About the textures: I agree that indies have a low budget and quality artwork is a problem. I think most of them have skills in programming and not in modelling or texture creation.

Take this as a starting point. The developer knows, if he create a game (with perfect gameplay) that is not of a professional look, he has no chance to get out of a hobby state. What will he do?

I think baking is a good way to do, but i.e. baked lightmaps are working only good in static scenes. For dynamic objects, you need good shaders. In my opinion this is up to the engine.

And cause I don’t see any good shaders so far in jme, I guess there are no - and maybe no way to use replace the standard ones.

You can replace, use your own shader. “simply” create a material + material def (include ref to your shader).

@Plenker said: Thank you for the list. But I can't agree that it lists professional projects. All screenshots showing bad textured 3d scenes. Nothing really worth to download. If I am right, most are not downloadable, what means they are more techdemos.
@Plenker said: And cause I don't see any good shaders so far in jme, I guess there are no - and maybe no way to use replace the standard ones.

Hello Peter!

2 Likes
@Plenker said: For dynamic objects, you need good shaders. In my opinion this is up to the engine.

This is ridiculous. Even in Unity most will write their own shaders.

I think you should go use Unity and let us play with our little 10,000 download hobby project that has been in development for almost a decade. :wink:

You come in here dropping thinly veiled insults without even having done one gram of research. Somehow you expect us to bend over backwards to try to “convince” you to use this engine… we all have our own projects to do and the relevant information is plainly available. The only point of asking these questions would either be a) to troll or b) to ???

Actually, I can’t think of another reason. Maybe that’s because I use a different set of criteria for choosing a tool: 1) does it work well? 2) will it be maintained in the long run (or is the source available), 3) can I learn it quickly.

This is not the engine for you… there is no “make a AAA game” button. You should find a different engine and let us all get back to work.

6 Likes
@pspeed said: You come in here dropping thinly veiled insults without even having done one gram of research. Somehow you expect us to bend over backwards to try to "convince" you to use this engine... we all have our own projects to do and the relevant information is plainly available. The only point of asking these questions would either be a) to troll or b) to ???

Actually, I can’t think of another reason. Maybe that’s because I use a different set of criteria for choosing a tool: 1) does it work well? 2) will it be maintained in the long run (or is the source available), 3) can I learn it quickly.

This is not the engine for you… there is no “make a AAA game” button. You should find a different engine and let us all get back to work.

I feel bad to hear this. If you don’t like someone looking critical to your “holy grail”, you should close your forum. For you as individual person, a good starting point is to stop answering me. You save time.

If you think I am a troll, don’t feed me. Just leave.

Your answer was not helpful, but thank you for not trying to give one.

@Plenker said: If you don't like someone looking critical to your "holy grail", you should close your forum.

Hello Peter!

3 Likes

If I read you correctly, you’re asking why there are no AAA games written in jme. That’s because almost every single AAA games are written by multi-million dollar companies, and these companies write their own very specific engine for a very specific game.

Unity is backed by an envious-huge development fund because it’s paid. Its impossible for contributors (that aren’t paid a dime) to compete - yet this engine is very capable of producing a very good game despite that. Other devs have toyed with the engine and produced some very interesting results (such as this one: Voxel Terrain - YouTube and this project: http://4realms.net/News/?page_id=42

However - aside from the money unity has, it also has a wealth of resources and an asset store - there’s a lot to like, and as a result - a lot of resources to use - including pre-made code. In jme you will more thank likely have to write these kind of things yourself, or at the very least create a thread or ten asking for assistance. This means that development time is a lot slower than just drag-dropping some pre-written code into your game and seeing results. You could probably write a game in unity in 6 weeks, whereas in jme it may take 3 times longer. Personally I don’t see that as a drawback, I see it as a personal experience and in a way happy that nine million other newbies haven’t followed my path. I’m doing something unique. I’m doing something different.

For me personally I have spent many months doing just that and have enjoyed not only coding, but conversing with the team and others on the best approaches. It’s certainly not easy, but then again - you’re writing a game.

tldr; if you want quick results, just use unity. Also, hello peter.

1 Like
@jayfella said: If I read you correctly, you're asking why there are no AAA games written in jme.

Hello jayfella,

thank you for your post. To be precise, we was discussing if jme is a good choice for indy developers, which are want to get out of the state of just a hobby.