Is there any significant use of jme in third party projects?

No jme is a terrible choice, don’t use it,
(If you cannot do research and googleing on your own that is, else its great)

Wasn’t that done in jme? I remember playing it few years ago and it looked very polished as far as indie games are concerned (and enjoyable as well).

@Plenker said: I feel bad to hear this. If you don't like someone looking critical to your "holy grail", you should close your forum. For you as individual person, a good starting point is to stop answering me. You save time.

If you think I am a troll, don’t feed me. Just leave.

Your answer was not helpful, but thank you for not trying to give one.

We can’t give you an answer because in classic troll fashion you’ve set it up for failure. Your question has never been if this was a good engine to use or not. Your question is more like “Are there any good games using this engine? Because all of the ones I’ve seen look ugly and stupid.”

So, we are left to assume one of two things happened:

1. that you didn’t even look very well… in which case why should we bend over backwards to help you look.
  2. that anything we put forward you’d just say “Yep, that’s one of the ugly ones.”

I think JME is a great engine for indie game projects and there are several great looking games made with JME that are easy to find with even 4.2 seconds of searching.

I don’t think it’s a good engine for YOU because it requires the developer to actually do some work on their own (no “make a game” buttons)… and when that developer needs help in the forum it requires that one not sound like a troll from the very first post. We have seen no evidence that you have any of these qualities.

Perhaps you are just being grossly misunderstood… in which case, JME is a fine engine for you to use and you could learn much of what you needed to know just by looking through the documentation and tutorials. Otherwise, good luck with Unity… I hear it’s very nice.

2 Likes
@abies said: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bang!_Howdy Wasn't that done in jme? I remember playing it few years ago and it looked very polished as far as indie games are concerned (and enjoyable as well).

Yes, “Bang! Howdy” is from the JME2 era.

Nord is another game from that time, also well polished. A social game that was running from 2007-2014. So a fairly succesful one.

@rickard said: Yes, "Bang! Howdy" is from the JME2 era.

Nord is another game from that time, also well polished. A social game that was running from 2007-2014. So a fairly succesful one.

Both games look professional. I don’t like the style of Nord, but this is a question of taste. I try to test Bang! Howdy but the Linux installer is not able to find my java jre, I guess you need ubuntu to run.

But yes, two good examples. Do someone know if they use jme for there next game too?

@pspeed said: We can't give you an answer because in classic troll fashion ...

Why are all developers unfriendly and the contributors are not? I don’t get the Problem they have.

Because the developers have put very much time and effort into both the engine as well as the community.
If you ask questions that sound more or less like “Is this even good?” they - understandably - take it as criticism on their own work.
The contributors are not responsible for the engine itself, so they don’t care as much.

Commercial engines are on a whole other level than jME. They have paid programmers and lots of funds, obviously they have more features and that’s why everyone’s telling you to use them.

Does this diminish the jME project?
In no way. There are many talented people working on it and have produced the best open source engine I know of.
So, while it is a great piece of work and you should not imply it’s ‘bad’ or anything like that, I do not think it’s the engine you’re searching for.

Now, either use it or don’t.

@Plenker said: Why are all developers unfriendly and the contributors are not? I don't get the Problem they have.

Hello Peter!

3 Likes
@Plenker said:If you don't like someone looking critical to your "holy grail", you should close your forum.

Have you ever had a hobby? Created something?
Have you ever sunk years and years into one single project?
Then maybe you might be able to understand that people get pissed off when you talk like that about their efforts.

This forum is not here for someone ‘looking critical at the engine’, you can do this by yourself.

@m41q said: Now, either use it or don't.

I can’t use it, cause it is not working. libbulletjme64.so needs the glibc of version 2.14 which is not provided my my linux system. That is another points, that shows the quality of this project.

@m41q said: Have you ever had a hobby? Created something? Have you ever sunk years and years into one single project? Then maybe you might be able to understand that people get pissed off when you talk like that about their efforts.

This forum is not here for someone ‘looking critical at the engine’, you can do this by yourself.

This is no guarantee against critical statements. Should we all call them “developer gods” cause they invest many time to create something of second rate?

Second rate to what?
What engine is better and created by people in their spare time?

@m41q said: Second rate to what? What engine is better and created be people in their spare time?

I think you can’t proof the quality of something, cause it is the only one and nothing else to compare.

But go away from java and look to ogre3d or irrlicht. Now compare.

@Plenker said: Should we all call them "developer gods" cause they invest many time to create something of second rate?

Hello Peter!

1 Like

it’s rather simple, give it a try or not. If it pleases you, the better, if not and you decide to leave for an other engine it’s fine as well.

However criticizing something over a few days without giving it a try is plain ridiculous.

Derail for glory!

1 Like
@Plenker said: Why are all developers unfriendly and the contributors are not? I don't get the Problem they have.

Heheh…

Here is an experiment for you:
Go to a crowded restaurant sometime. Ask if they have a lot of customers. When they point around to a few clearly sitting at the tables all around you… then ask them “No, I mean do you have any that are eating good food.”

Then see how quickly they fall over themselves trying to please you. I suspect not. They will probably recommend that you eat elsewhere.

You’ve started two threads that were pretty blatantly insulting right from the beginning and then wonder why the core devs aren’t nice to you? Pretty hilarious. You may think you are not a troll but you are following the troll playbook step by step, really.

7 Likes
@pspeed said: Heheh...

Here is an experiment for you:

Your experiment is not really fitting the situation. But it was a funny joke.

I think all is said.

@Plenker said: I think all is said.

Bye Peter!

2 Likes
@Plenker said: Your experiment is not really fitting the situation. But it was a funny joke.

I think all is said.

JME has really not so many projects.
I can say you my point of view why it happens:

Cons:

• JME is a hardcore engine mostly for programmers only. 3D artists can’t use it yet. As you can see there are only programmers on the forum.
  • JME has no good World Editor yet. Against Unity and Unreal. Most stuff should be programmed. And this is still big problem for many people to choose the engine.
  • JME has less features than other pro engines.
  • JME has no scripting language intergrated into the editor and the engine. Big minus too.

Pros:

• No need to pay anyone for a license.
  • You can add and modify source. And add features you need.
  • The engine works pretty well and stable. Can be used for commercial projects for sure.

So, at present - JME is still a hardcore engine for programmers only. But possibly time will change in 2-5 years. Who knows. :slight_smile:

Anyway, try the engine. It’s pretty friendly if you are a programmer. :slight_smile:

1 Like