Is WebStart working at all?

I tried to deploy as WebStart without success.

1. The SDK after I enable WebStart in project properties sets the flag back to false once I click “Ok”.
  2. You cannot load saved settings the way you normally would: Preferences.userRoot().nodeExists(settingsKey)
  3. The settings window tries to show always on top which would seem is not allowed in WebStart
  4. It would seem you also cannot save app settings, which is done automatically by jME:
net.sourceforge.jnlp.LaunchException: Fatal: Launch Error: Could not launch JNLP file. at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.launchApplication(Launcher.java:603) at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher$TgThread.run(Launcher.java:908) Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601) at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.launchApplication(Launcher.java:597) ... 1 more Caused by: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied ("java.lang.RuntimePermission" "preferences") at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:366) at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:560) at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:549) at net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.JNLPSecurityManager.checkPermission(JNLPSecurityManager.java:284) at java.util.prefs.Preferences.userRoot(Preferences.java:455) at com.jme3.system.AppSettings.save(AppSettings.java:299) ... 8 more

At which point I gave up…

Is webstart still supported? (I know it’s not the most fashionable technology these days, but still it would be nice to use…)

try editing the jnlp to give you full accessmode, not nice, but will work probably

@Empire Phoenix said: try editing the jnlp to give you full accessmode, not nice, but will work probably

I’ll have a try thanks :slight_smile:

Requesting all privileges isn’t nice but the best approach to make sure that the JNLP works at all.
Once it runs, you should probably reduce the privileges to what the software actually needs. Oracle is going to make the warnings more scary for programs that simply want everything.