Issue with KeyBindingManager in Flag Rush tutorial

Hi there, everyone.  I’m new to jME, and was going through the tutorials to get my feet wet.  I’ve run into a little snag, in that the KeyBindingManager doesn’t seem to be paying any attention to input.  I thought originally that I’d mis-typed something, so I went through and copy-pasted the initSystem and update methods, and I’m still getting nothing.  I slapped some logging in update, and the game loop is running, but nothing ever happens inside my isValidCommand(“exit”) if-block.

Any suggestions?

– Kintar

Which lesson? 5 or 6?

It could very easily be a wiki typo, as those were written before the InputSystem changes and updated to reflect them (and there might have been a mistake in that update).

Lesson 3, actually.

And, I just did another copy-paste, this time from the full source at the bottom of the page, rather than piecemeal.  cough  I knew that was there.  Yeah.  I was just testing.  :blush:

Anyway, the full source at the bottom works fine.  I'm in the process of picking through it to see what's different from my piecemeal copy-paste.  If I find it, I'll go ahead and update the wiki.  If not, I'll just cry some. <grin>

Thanks for the reply, Mojomonk. :)  And thanks for clarifying my wiki entries!  It's nice to see an actual active open source project for a change!

– Kintar

You were dead on the money, mojomonk.  The inline code examples in lesson 2 don't use the InputSystem changes, and since I had used that for the base code of my classes, no keyboard input.

I've got my code working, and changed the inline code in lesson2 to reflect the proper way to do things and the way it's done in the full source at the bottom of the page.  I added a bit to the explanation of what the KeyBindingManager setup as doing, so you might want to double-check the verbage there to be sure it's "newbie friendly".

– Kintar

Well, I found a couple methods that didn't need calling. So removed that, but not sure if that was what your problem was or not.

Feel free to mention places you felt the text was lacking and you were confused. This is the first feedback I've gotten on it, so it is probably a bit rough around the edges.

If you are using CVS, jmetest.flagrushtut.* has the same code that should be on the wiki.

Whoops, we stepped on each others toes :slight_smile: I'll look through things make sure everything is good.

Crap, I think I accidently blew away your changes. Nothing is appearing in the wiki history by you…  ://

Well, I found a couple methods that didn't need calling. So removed that, but not sure if that was what your problem was or not.

See previous post.  It wouldn't have even come up if I'd been just copy-pasting the source code.  Then again, anyone who's going straight to the final code probably isn't learning, either.

Feel free to mention places you felt the text was lacking and you were confused.

It looks great to me.  There are a few places where terminology could be confusing to someone new to 3D graphics since the wiki links aren't filled, but I'm trying to add basic definitions in when I find those.

If you are using CVS...

Heh, I wish.  For some reason, I can't get Eclipse to behave with the CVS system.  It hangs trying to refresh the repository head.  Probably due to the sheer number of projects java.net hosts.  One day I'll get off my bum and install Cygwin on this system so I can do ant-based CVS checkouts.  (I won't let CVSNT anywhere near my systems anymore. <grin>)

Crap, I think I accidently blew away your changes. Nothing is appearing in the wiki history by you...

No worries.  I'll go re-add my changes. :)  ...  Wonder why it didn't lock, though?  Odd.

-- Kin

All set.  The only changes that got lost were to lesson 2 (I hadn't done any others yet), and they were in the history, so…glory be to copy-paste. :smiley:

– Kin