(January 2014) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

I really liked the last couple monthly screenshot threads, but had nothing to show myself.
So I thought it’s my turn to start this month:

I’m working on a vehicle creating game.
The main idea lies in creating your own vehicle, attaching weapons and going to war with them.

Here is an example vehicle I quickly created in the armory:

The project isn’t very old and I only focused on programing, so graphicwise I only have the bare minimum.

Another screen from the armory:

You can save your creations and also make test drives before going into multiplayer battles.

Here is the scene from the (primitive) Test-Drive environment (I’m in the drivers seat):

Right now I call it ‘Ultimate Armory’, but I still hope a better name will come to mind. Any suggestions? :lol:

7 Likes

thats a really cool game idea. how far detailed is the “building” aspect of it? do you just select which components you want and they appear on your vehicle, or do you place the components manually yourself?

1 Like

Wee!!! Another screen shots thread. Nothing to show yet here but I’m excited to see the thread again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

4 Likes

@m41q Looks great. Can you post a video. :slight_smile:

@icamefromspace said: thats a really cool game idea. how far detailed is the "building" aspect of it? do you just select which components you want and they appear on your vehicle, or do you place the components manually yourself?

You can add the components yourself. Right now I’m mostly using blocks to create the vehicles, so you can think of the armory like a “minecraft style vehicle creator” :slight_smile:

@iamcreasy said: @m41q Looks great. Can you post a video. :)

Thanks!
I don’t think it looks that exciting :roll:
Next thing I add are guns, I’ll make a video then.

(Also, I can’t just show you… Then I would have nothing to show for the February Thread :wink: )

not JME, but it will be… a second attempt to get my head around sculpting (in Blender):

It’s eventually going to be a robot head influenced by a Spartan helmet.

8 Likes
@thetoucher said: not JME, but it will be... a second attempt to get my head around sculpting (in Blender):

It may be not jME, but I personally think the monthly screens should be about gamedev in general.

The robot head is really cool by the way. Will it be part of a game?

@thetoucher said: not JME, but it will be... a second attempt to get my head around sculpting (in Blender):

That looks really good. What’s your triangle count so far?

Teach me O’ lord of blender

1 Like

i’ve still yet to truly grasp just creating a 3d stickman in blender. id be content if i could just get that far on anything.

I barely know anything about blender either, but luckily I have friend that does that part for me if necessary :slight_smile:

But in my opinion audio is even trickier, I always download sound effects from some website.

Here is an Android game I have been working on.
Simple but could have much potential if I do it right.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fwhS-YQVlk[/video]

7 Likes

I’m creating a voxel game based on Liero and Worms in jme. There’s no npc ai yet, I’ve started creating it recently. I’m creating a deathmatch game mode, in which the players have to pick items that fall from the sky and kill one another 'till the game ends :). Here are some screenshots:

5 Likes

All I have to say is that while sipping on my coconut water; these screenshots look interesting. I’m over here vacationing on my home country, the Dominican Republic. So don’t expect any screenshots from me. :smiley:

Also, @thetoucher good job with that sculpting. But I think the hard part is finishing the project with proper texturing. Good luck with that.

just make sure you include the grappling hook and i bet that game will be awesome.

1 Like
@icamefromspace said: just make sure you include the grappling hook and i bet that game will be awesome.

As you haven’t mentioned nobody in your comment, I don’t know what game you talked about, but if it was mine, so yes, grappling hook was one of the first things that I’ve implemented in my game. Here’s a screenshoot of me using it:

3 Likes

Been working on a demo of all the features and mechanics of an upcoming game. It’s a story-driven, sci-fi, adventure, FPS. It starts out on an alien planet and will be an episodic game series. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Spent this weekend making a MotionPath-Creator-UI-Editor-Thing and now finally have something to show-off with (even though it’s still a little buggy).

In action

3 Likes

Not sure exactly what, if anything that I will do with this… but I’ve been seeing a lot of the “low poly” blender renders show up in my G+ feed from time to time for the past few months. If you don’t know what that is… here are some links:

So, I started wondering if I could do something similar in real time in JME… with randomized terrain data.

I’ll spoil the story and go right for the end shot:

That version has FXAA, SSAO, and JME shadows.

Getting there was a lot harder than one might think.

First, I started with a terrain decimation implementation. (This is the part I will get to reuse for Mythruna and was my original ‘legitimate reason’ for starting down this path…)

This is a raw version of the same fractal I use for Mythruna’s base terrain layer. I ramped up the elevations with a parabolic curve and then color coded based on slope and water/coastline/etc. (wasn’t sure what I’d need later)

Here is a decimated version in wireframe:

And the low poly version:

Quite a few tries and misses along the way. Here is one where I tried to separate the grass from the mountains and decimate them separately. I like the effect and probably could have improved its issues but if I ever want to bake in AO or anything then the seams are all messed up:

Another version before I smoothed the flat lands (grass):

And before I filtered out bad polys:

There was a lot more behind the scenes stuff, too. The decimation works best when it has less terrain to work with so I make a pass through my raw height map data to remove tiny islands and any land masses that intersect with the edge of the map.

There are a half dozen more ways I can tweak it but I already wasted too much time on it for now and so will set it aside for a little. I have a game idea I want to explore in this terrain but it will be partially an AI test for Mythruna and I’m not there yet.

4 Likes