(January 2017) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

So I have been working on a Java Mascot/Game character for a couple of months now and I am actually not disgusted with my drawing skills at this point.

Just because someone asked me before…
“All images even the colored ones, excluding logos, color blocks and “Java Duchess”, were drawn by hand”.

there are some earlier attempts at creating this character on my DeviantArt profile if your interested.

6 Likes

@skidrunner looks pretty cool, but the jME “character” seems weird. Why add green?

2 Likes

It is the secondary color from the splash screen and she look really strange in full yellow. don’t even get me started on how jamie looked squished in her chest…LOL

If you want to see all the steps i did you can check out this blog post Java Duchess - Character Design

EDIT
@Ev1lbl0w
What secondary color would you suggest?

1 Like

What secondary color would you suggest?

Probably a type of yellowish-brown, like the color on the lid fur of the jME monkey. Or grey, like the forum xD

1 Like

Camera controls are kinda on e and z. Mouse controlled movement may come later.

It’s hold left-shift and brake for reverse.

All models are work in progress at the moment.

I want that aesthetic but for smooth driving the ground needs to be smooth, thus higher poly. Although I picked it because it’s easier to make models for.

Was running this game on a laptop hence the bad shadows, I have better settings commented out.

Only open source car sound I could find…

Funny story about the tyre marks, they completely don’t work on my dev computer. So I actually forget what they look like. Source code is somewhere here https://github.com/Murph9/RallyGame/blob/master/src/car/MyWheelNode.java

Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

I made the model sheet very modular so it is actually easy to change colors I hope I can make the model textures the same but we will see…
How does this one look?

I might open a topic on this…LOL

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s pretty nice xD. Fits well in the DarkMonkey theme. Good job!

1 Like

I approve of the logo placement.

1 Like

That’s awesome, you have very good drawing skills.

1 Like

Refactor, refactor and refactor. That’s been what we’ve been doing for a while, except when we had a little development break and played games instead to regain some inspiration. Space Engineers, Arma 3, Osiris Dawn, Cities Skylines, Ark: Survival Evolved and Civilization VI has received some attention instead.

We use a more event driven system now for generating the world; generating walls, floors, roofs, etc. Trying to refactor so we use the same type of validation when placing lobby items, outdoor items, escalators, stairs, etc. This means that we need to update all our item definitions, which probably are about 100 items now. Some of the items are not tile adapted, so we will probably remove some of them.

This is a little mind map I draw to be able to reorganise all different types of definitions that we use. I hope to be able to remove some definitions or rather base them on the same base type. All of these should be editable from the editor that we use.

What you see in this image below is when I’m testing validation and valid highlight when placing stairs. The highlight is based on the toon outline filter.

You can also read our devlog that we published last week:
https://hub.kendanware.com/t/skylimit-tycoon-first-step-of-graphics-redesign-complete-more-to-come-12/79/1

9 Likes

Now that I have finally decided to get off my ass and do something, I figured I didn’t like how my DingoEngine worked so i scrapped it and made a NEW ONE!!! So Dingo Engine 2 is coming close to being released, I’m just going to make a demo video showing what it’s capable of. DE1 is still going to be updated for bug fixes, but as far as feature updates go I’m putting them in DE2.

With the redesigned graphics pipeline of DE2, it’ll be easier to finish my Open Source Video Codec I promised who knows how long ago. I have a general idea of how I’m going to implement it, I’m just trying to work out how to integrate sound in the mix. I dug out an old audio compression algorithm I tried to make, I figure i might as well fix that up and use it. But yeah, if I hurry it up and finish the Video Codec, JME will finally have a way of playing videos and I’ll be useful for something other than racking up a huge electrical bill :sweat_smile:

Ummmm I’m also almost done with a miniature game console, bringing back the gold old days of the gameboy!!!

As far as JME games go, I’m pulling together a small dev team and starting a really big project! It’s a first person shooter called Forever Lasting, and right now I’m actually cleaning up a few things and getting used to my recent upgrade to JME 3.1, so as of now I don’t have any screen shots. But I do have some concept art!

This one I drew myself

And this one I got from the internet because I was feeling lazy, but one of the main characters will look similar to this.

Anyone who would like to help out, let me know because I WOULD LOVE SOME HELP.

It’s amazing what I can do in two weeks when I actually feel like it

4 Likes

In Spoxel you can craft all sorts of weapons… like using a shark for a sword blade!

I also added a version for the smaller sword recipe in Spoxel.

10 Likes

I’m working on a simple add on library that allows for taking pictures of my scenes. Most of my games are Android and I don’t get the opportunity to get good looking pictures of the scenes. So I’m making this to just add to a project and be able to add filters and lighting and adjust them.

This isn’t a scene editor. Just a small photography tool.

3 Likes

Trying to design the inventory UI (again) with a simple style. (Forget about the font style and the images in the item list)

The list of the left is a scrolleable list and the model at the right is a 3D rotable view of the item selected.
At the top there is a list of the different categories of the items and at the upper right the slot for the item in hand.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

10 Likes

Looks super great. I can never make gui’s correctly. They’re definitely my area in biggest need of improvement.

I present the project that I have been developing for two years now, and it’s about version 1.7.
It is an artillery simulator for the instruction of its advanced observers, so that they can correct the field artillery fires.
Currently this simulator is fully operational in several military units.
Even in development, the next version will be 1.8, and will bring more functionality and graphics improvements.

I leave a link in case you are curious to know more about this simulation system.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5oGqBMH9KQaWUJMejhOMkNJNFk?usp=sharing

14 Likes

Looking at all the screenshot make me wish I have more time to do my jME stuffs :slight_smile:
I had my baby son and too busy for family and day time job to play with monkeys.
Keep up good works, @thetoucher :slight_smile: after all the years, you still give me some light of hope even in a rainy day here in Hanoi. :sunny: Hope that I can revive my stuff someday and jME getting better and better ! Cheers,

6 Likes

Ripped out a quick ZayES based level editor :

:calling::nail_care:

12 Likes

I think we will have a lot of editors for jME soon :slight_smile:

It may seem like a waste of resources, but the truth is most games need a level editor of their own. There are so many requirements a game has that makes it difficult to have a “generic” editor for all types of games. The SceneComposer is great for basic editing and placing spatials and it can be further enhanced with AppStates (which is very under-utilized atm). Once you get to actually having to ‘design’ levels, you will most likely run into limitations, or if nothing else, work-flow issues that can be remedied by a separate level editor.

1 Like