Sorry for low video quality

13 Likes

you should make it more transparent based on depth :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks stunning! Nice work!

1 Like

Are those then “water” blocks ?

1 Like

No, I am using JME’s water filter for the sea.

Water blocks are possible though (obviously need to be merged together). If you’re looking to do that yourself I can get an example together

Playing around with a vegetation probability layer. Depending on climate, all terrain may generate some sort of vegetation. This layer will act as a multiplayer and base probability for large scale vegetation like trees, bushes, etc… In the tool, I color this probability green. The darker the green, the higher the probability.

Continental view:

Having this sort of data even at low resolution will be crucial to picking town and POI placements.

A little closer to what would be the spawn location in this world:

Closer still:

From an angle:

Another area:

You can almost see the little ship in this one:

A taller mountain:

Tall enough that the tree line starts to clip the vegetation layer:

In reality, the line won’t always be this crisp because vegetation probability is also controlled by other local factors… and it will be randomized anyway:

Heading towards the desert, you can kind of see that even water gets a vegetation influence:

There’s our ship again. (Note: the reason the world looks ‘blocky’ at this resolution is because I cast elevation to int for the shader… but the fractals are all in double floating point.)

I’m thinking of making this tool a ‘real thing’ on its own. I don’t know if there is interest.

11 Likes

I know Minecraft divides its world into square chunks. Are you dividing yours into hexagons, then?

No. The hexagons are just visual indicators of scale. See last month’s WIP screenshot thread for more details.

Or I think I mention it in the text here:

3 Likes

Ah, so they are a temporary visual indicator you wrote in the terrain generator. Nice.

Yeah, this is a separate tool. Not really specific to Mythruna but it’s a little hacked that way at the moment.

Tweaking things a little bit I am getting closer to the toon style I wanted :slightly_smiling_face:

Before

After

9 Likes

Hello everyone, work in progress on the demo:

• shoulder camera visual change during aiming (not yet stable, any contribution is welcome)
  • vertical rotation of the spine when aiming
  • Materialize effect to remove the cubes hit by the exploding arrows (see GitHub - Ali-RS/jme-materialize)
  • Various optimizations

Thanks to @grizeldi for:

• the 3d models of bow, arrow and level
  • graphical improvements

As always the source code is available here:

Edit: The goal is to exchange knowledge and create a template to upload to the store for all users. Any help is welcome to complete the basic mechanics of third-person shooters or to add level design elements. In the next update, I will add a test environment with NPCs.

16 Likes

physics, visuals, animations. explosive arrows → i like everything here. Great Work!

3 Likes

Cool, keep up the good work! :grinning:

1 Like

A preview of the NPC test environment (I’m not very good at level design) :sweat_smile:
I got the idea from this tutorial to recreate the mechanics of RDR2’s Dead Eye with the jMonkeyEngine.

Here is the result:

Technical details:

• Eenemies are created every few seconds up to a maximum of 6.
  • Dead enemies are removed from the scene when they are outside the video camera rectangle.
  • Simple firing system with the gun.
  • RDR2 style fire system with automatic locking up to a maximum of 3 targets.
  • Change color gradation of “ColorOverlayFilter” when DeadEye is activated.
  • Slow motion on enemy animations when DeadEye is activated.
  • 3d model of the gun still not present :smile:

I will write a separate topic in which I will illustrate all the mechanics I have used.
There are certainly things that can be improved.
As always, I await suggestions and advice.

NOTE: The framerate is low because the video is recorded with OBS studio

16 Likes

hmm, odd that OBS affect fps so much. Would look much better with full framerate. (also, if you have any “short-freeze” issues, you might need move some code to thread, but its hard to see any with current video fps)

Anyway good work implementing RDR2 style fire system!
(visuals good as always too)

1 Like

Looking nice! Might give this one some asset creation treatment as well once it’s in a more complete stage :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also find it odd that OBS would slow things down. Probably there are some settings that will lower its overhead. That might be off topic in this thread but it’s worth exploring.

1 Like