Java 0Day

Hey all. So quickly about myself I have a background in security and make a living implementing and monitoring security for enterprise networks. Which brings me to this lovely summary of the recent security panic attack: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/01/new-java-exploit-fetches-5000-per-buyer/

So ya. It is something to be aware of since everyone here clearly uses Java :stuck_out_tongue:

Quick version is patch now. Right now. WHY are you still reading this sentence?! Go! Patch!

The other thing is that such exploits and vulnerabilities may have a ripple effect with peoples usage of Java in general. Aside from Adobe one of the more commonly exploited thing is Java. And given the extremely volatile nature of attacks at this point it may be something that people want to keep in the back of their mind.

Any ways interesting read and the articles at the bottom shed some more light onto the entire issue if you want more details.

2 Likes

Oh. Annnnnnnnnd in case ya don’t want to read the article fully or the links therein here’s a bullet form of what it is what if affects etc.

Q: How is this exploit exploited?
A: Java embedded in websites. NOT Javascript just to be clear, but Java. To clarify this is exploited THROUGH browsers not by native Java applications

Q: What version of Java?
A: Version 7 primarily… Possibly others. But they’re not sure. Wonderful eh?

Q: Pffft! I run Linux/OSX I’m safe right?
A: Ya. No. Sorry. It has a good chance of injuring you as well.

Q: What’ll it do to me!?
A: Well you could essentially be giving full control of your machine to someone else.

There’s a lot more complexity to it than just this but this is the high level overview of what this is and what it can do. To guard against this the current recommendation is to disable Java in your browser entirely. So for those of us that want to make the game an in browser game this may be a bit of a concern as then the people that want to play your game might not be able to. So having a downloadable client MAY be the way to go with this.

Food for thought.

1 Like

I got really bothered by this part:

Some of the core devs have been playing with GetDown as an alternative to Applets/Webstarts, but with varying results. Personally I really want to see a Java API for Native Client, but that could be a pipedream.

1 Like

Ya. I’m sadly not entirely surprised. A lot of companies have a rather bad habit of aiming for features first and security an extremely distant second when it comes to any sort of development.

Dude, you are using a computer, you know that everyone that truly wants to has access to your information. Companies like Google, Microsoft and Facebook has your life in their database and you don’t mind it, but some idiot hacker that at maximum is going to use your computer as processing power for him to attack websites, maybe steal some money from your account (you’ll get a refund anyways), get’s full attention.

Java applets are as bad as Flash.

Oh. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that any piece of software is bullet proof out there (especially Adobe Flash. Sheesh…). Plus getting at “your information” is borderline inconsequential nowadays spookily enough (Fair example is how effective the whole “I’m a Nigerian Prince that’s down on his luck” scam works to this day). The new things making the rounds are targeted attacks to SCADA Hardware (i.e. The targets of “Flamer” were Iranian centrifuges for processing nuclear fuel. The virus successfully took down 5000 of these.), acting as a proxy for other users (Recently Chinese hackers have decided to essentially force their way around government firewalls by using proxies [not bad in and of itself] without the users knowledge [there’s the bad bit]), etc etc etc.

Privacy online is almost laughable in this day and age for a good portion of the population. I’d even go out on a limb saying that there’s probably less than mmmmm 5% of the population of “netizens” (UGH. I hate that word) that have a good grasp of what happens with their data online, or even what their foot print of information actually is.

Some of the whacky stuff I read daily on the latest and greatest threats out there is simply astounding at what people can do when they put their minds to it. Aside from that this was just a “heads up” and a quick break down of this latest threat that happened to utilize our tool of choice. Not a huge social commentary. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@shirkit The companies you mentioned are being scrutinized in the news every single day. I haven’t seen this exploit getting any more attention than the usual hacker news.

Point is that bad publicity for Java is bad publicity for Java-based games, and we ought to be prepared with knowledge about the issue when prospective users and investors express concerns, whether they’re valid or not.

Gladly we have JavaFX, and most users won’t ever know they are running Java in their machines.

And it’s important that this continue to be reframed as a “java in the browser” problem and not a Java in general problem. Public perception is fickle.

1 Like
@shirkit said: Gladly we have JavaFX, and most users won't ever know they are running Java in their machines.

Hell a lot users don’t even know what version of Windows they’re running (if ya run Windows that is).

But even JavaFX isn’t bullet proof in this department: CVE-2012-5083 : Unspecified vulnerability in the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) component in Oracle Java SE 7 Update 7 and earlier, 6 Up Nothings perfect and all naturally. But the reason I brought the initial article to light is that this one has been punted out by US-CERT so it’s bound to get tossed around on the news a bit (or maybe not) and probably reported on inaccurately which won’t help issues or trust in Java at all.

@pspeed said: And it's important that this continue to be reframed as a "java in the browser" problem and not a Java in general problem. Public perception is fickle.

THIS!

Well whatever at least opera has since ancient versions a plugins in request option, instead of loading ANY kind of external plugin it just displays a palceholder till you specifically activate it. for 99% of issues with using a 1px div with invisble applet ect, the problem is solved alone by that.

Chrome does that as well. This site wants to run Java, do you want to allow it?

Does anyone know if these vulns can bypass that as well somehow or is it safe unless you enable java on the site?

There sure is a massive fuss about this exploit. I do not really understand why, though, it took Oracle 4 days to patch and while someone out there does have the source code for this exploit, it would take a lot of effort to efficiently distribute a virus containing the exploit through websites. Most likely only a few teenage boys visiting dodgy websites after their parents have gone to bed would be affected? Or am I wrong?

I mean, my bank has advised people to turn off Java when they do not need it for accessing net-banking, which I thought was much of an overreaction. I hardly think that is necessary as long as you don’t venture to the darker corners of the internet, in which case you risk getting all sorts of malicious software. I don’t know if I am being naiive here.

I am concerned about the public image of Java, though. But fortunately people tend to have the attention-span of a hamster when it comes to these kinds of things, I bet people will have forgotten within 7 days.

Squirrel!

@zarch said: Chrome does that as well. This site wants to run Java, do you want to allow it?

Does anyone know if these vulns can bypass that as well somehow or is it safe unless you enable java on the site?

You should be fine as long as you setup in IE, Firefox, Chrome, or whatever you use to not auto run JAVA (which is the default for Chrome so huzzah).

@nihal said: There sure is a massive fuss about this exploit. I do not really understand why, though, it took Oracle 4 days to patch and while someone out there does have the source code for this exploit, it would take a lot of effort to efficiently distribute a virus containing the exploit through websites. Most likely only a few teenage boys visiting dodgy websites after their parents have gone to bed would be affected? Or am I wrong?

Very… VERY wrong. ON SALE TODAY if you know where to go people are selling exploit packs that have full documentation on how to bend someones computer to your will. Some of these start at around $10,000 a pop. And they’re making millions doing just this. One of the best pieces of software I have seen recently was for a variant of the Zeus botnet. For a mere $5000 you get the software, 24/7 tech support from Russia for a year, automated reporting (to show you how many you infected over the night with the botnet code), and much much more.

As with ALL things that can be bent to good or evil people will find a way to make money at it. Or if you really want to start getting paranoid the Flamer that I mentioned earlier was put together by the US Government or at least SOME government… But most likely the US and Israel… Flame (malware) - Wikipedia FUN world we live in eh?

Small edit Flamer was for espionage while Stuxnet was the one that targeted the centrifuges. Sorry.