Java Runtime problem – fatal error

@seann999

maybe laptop asus k50? :roll:

we are so unlucky.

The worst thing is, a lot of people has these cards in their computers, so changing will not solve the issue for them - blocking a lot of potential users :(.

Debugging is probably a bit over the top too, since you have to guess. My index buffer changing was probably just lucky. Just figured it could be indices since those are the only buffers you set different types (ushort, uint etc). It was most likely something else (more complex issue) causing the problems, and the reason it worked was just a coincidence.

@oxplay2 Nah, some Sony VAIO laptop.

I still don’t believe it’s a graphics card problem… It was working all fine last week…

At first, the error report said something about jvm.dll and so I looked up for a solution. It said that I should change the permissions for the jvm.dll file to all-access, which made sense since it was an “…ACCESS_VIOLATION”. That got rid of it saying something about jvm.dll but instead came back with something else I can’t remember.

“…ACCESS_VIOLATION” refers to memory being accessed that shouldn’t be. It doesn’t have anything to do with the file system.

It’s generally caused by a bad pointer in the native code (corrupted pointer value, null value, etc). As I recall, it’s an error generated by the hardware itself when a bad page or data segment is accessed… along the lines of “General Protection Fault”.

Also, just because your Java programs shouldn’t crash doesn’t mean that this isn’t a bug in your code somewhere. Everything is being run in a sandbox and so shouldn’t cause errors at this level but it is possible that errors in code (GLSL or otherwise) cause certain platforms to crash while others would simple generate errors or display corrupted data.

…especially when someone says “switching buffers” or “switching mesh modes”, etc… it could very well be that the index buffer wasn’t the right size and so the GPU was attempting to access garbage because it doesn’t have ht proper constraints checks, etc…

Once you narrow down what small changes can fix the problem then it’s time to query the community… because it could be a real error in code somewhere.

1 Like

Yeah, the error is caused by the ig4blahblah.dll intel ogl driver. It is a well known issue with older integrated HD integrated graphics, they just don’t work well with ogl. You run the same code on another computer and it works. In fact i think it may even be computer related (dell has their driver, asus has theirs etc). I couldn’t update to the official intel drivers for example, because my computer required a special driver. In some cases it can be avoided by simply removing or modifying the object/mesh causing the problems, but this time it seems to be caused by an engine update or something…

I searched around a lot when using my intel HD card, and the only answers people give is to re-install/update drivers, and most apps/APIs seems to deal with this by saying those cards just aren’t supported (and rightfully so). That’s the only info I got.

1 Like

like @seann999, i started to have it a week ago. it can be coincidence, but who knows.

i will not look for a problem. because i think that it is LWJGL/HW problem or something and BTW i will propably not support my own vid card… :roll:

My argument is that i was making Servers and no major changes in Client.

When problem started, I was probably playing around with Network. Don’t know if some of that could make a problem.

about drivers: i have newest from official webpage.

@androlo, @pspeed

respect.

thank you for inform me, how :shit: video card i have. thats all :slight_smile:

@oxplay2 said:

i will not look for a problem. because i think that it is LWJGL/HW problem or something and BTW i will propably not support my own vid card... :roll:

Haha :D

In my case, it might have been a memory (RAM) problem… After I optimized a lot of the code, it rarely happens anymore.