Java UML tools

so i'm using eclipse i would like to create some UML diagrams then hopefully have them generate some templates for me to fill in. My only question is whether anyone has any tools that they use to create UML. Also does anyone really use these diagrams? thankies!

IMO there is no really good UML Tool which can generate the code I want and provide proper support for round trip engineering. The only tool I really use to generate code is Fujaba (fujaba.de), but it’s a research project and you really need to know what you are doing to use it… so… UML is still only for drawing (early phases) not for programming (late phases) :frowning:

Poseidon for UML is a nice tool that can generate code for you.  They used to do a free community version (with slightly less features) but they don’t appear to any more  :expressionless:

Also you can download a UML plug-in for netBeans using it’s built in update manager.

I don’t really use Eclipse but I’m sure some googling would revel a similar plug-in to the one netBeans has.

I'm using eUML from soyatec in his free-edition and this one work for me.

I had a quick glance at the UML projects in the new Netbeans (6.0 beta 1), and so far it looks fine.

I believe there is a UML tool for Eclipse that can be install via Eclipse Updates in Europa…I haven't really used it since an early version, but I've heard it's gotten a lot better.

well i guess i can do it the old fashioned way…

i'll try out these tools…

edit:

BlackBluegL: i tried installing that tool but i couldn't find the free version when i added that update location to eclipse… what update site are you using?

drfugly said:

well i guess i can do it the old fashioned way...

i'll try out these tools...

edit:
BlackBluegL: i tried installing that tool but i couldn't find the free version when i added that update location to eclipse... what update site are you using?

install the studio version. it is the free-version also without registration

I’ve used ArgoUML which is an open source tool that lets you do UML and generates the Java stubs for you. It doesn’t do round-trip engineering unless you get the MyEclipse integrated ArgoUML version.

Also a really nice but pretty expensive tool is Borland’s JBuilder 2007 which is basically a set of plugins for Eclipse and they provide a really awesome UML 2.0 tool that does reverse-engineering UML diagrams (including reverse engineering sequence diagrams from code).

I kinda find that UML diagrams are only useful at the extremes of development, either right in the beginning when you want to think through some ideas, or when you’re jumping into someone elses code and you need a high-level overview of what’s going on. So for the first case ArgoUML is nice to whip up some quick diagrams and generate your stubs. To do the second part reverse-engineering UML diagrams you really need a tool that will keep your diagrams up to date from code (Those diagrams end up becoming harmful if they don’t reflect the latest development).

thanks everyone, i'm at school and away from my computer but i'll look into these solutions, mucho gracias to everyone!!!

Not to be picky or anything, but you would say muchas gracias instead of mucho gracias:wink: