JavaFX Java9 incompability

The exception is there by design :slight_smile:
if it is thrown, a java9 variant is used instead :stuck_out_tongue:

I know, I just want to say that Class.forName() is works for classes from javaFX

Kinda strange I must say,

i do not get what they try to arcive by not being able to import classes, but ability to get them anyways via forName , seems inconsequent for me.

for classes from JavaFX:

So, you have the problem with setAccessible for the method of protected class, but I use another approach. I try to get access to protected constructor of MethodHandles.Lookup() and then I use it for making the method/var handles.
I donā€™t call the setAccessible for methods of protected classes.

I think you can use a method handle for destroying a direct buffer.

Have implemented DnD :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Please can you explain how to do it? I use my own mechanism to destroy direct NIO buffers, my source code is under GPL (yes Iā€™m fed up with profitable organisations fixing bugs in my code but refusing to share their findings with me).

It is not working, I have checked it :frowning:

Since you brought it upā€¦ Iā€™ll just point out that it also means that organizations that would have shared their findings now also potentially canā€™t use your code. So while one approachā€™s only down side was ā€œItā€™s not fair.ā€ but otherwise cost you nothingā€¦ the new approachā€™s downside is fewer users which costs you potential work-sharing.

ā€¦unless you really mean LGPLā€¦ then ignore me. Because with GPL itā€™s not a choice of ā€œwill I contribute back or notā€. Itā€™s often a choice of ā€œcan I even use this or notā€ā€¦ because of the viral nature of GPL.

It costs me a lot of time. When a (private or state controlled) company writes a fully shader based pipeline based on ā€œourā€ source code (another engine I wonā€™t name) for its game but refuses to spend some time to contribute back, I have to redo all the work by myself whereas I could spend my time to implement something else. It was the same when someone else working for another company ported the same engine to JOGL 2.0 several years before me, I had to redo all the work because the main developer has never shared his source code. Anyway, numerous companies violate the GPL too (I found some pieces of Java3D in a proprietary scenegraph I reverse engineered). I love the GPL and I consider that the technical knowledge should always be shared (Iā€™m against bank secrecy and software secrecy as well). I totally understand that capitalist people here disagree with me but I donā€™t think that I will accept becoming the main maintainer of an engine not under GPL or a similar license in the future even though it will lead to few users and less work-sharing (which is debatable as the developers who agree with me would be more reluctant to contribute to a project with a permissive license).

Sorry for the off topic but Iā€™m fed up with people always criticizing the GPL, I had to show another viewpoint.

1 Like

Well, there are many positive reasons to choose the GPL and thatā€™s up to you. But some company doing their own work and not contributing it back is not really taking anything away from you. Youā€™d have gotten the same out of it if they didnā€™t use it at all.

Different folks have different priorities. For me, my top priority is for my code to be usedā€¦ so I pick the most unrestrictive license I can while still protecting my own interests. For others, the code actually being used is second or third place and thatā€™s fine.

Itā€™s only the ā€œforcing them to give back their changesā€ logic that I disagree with the way stated. a) the choice is between them using your code or not using your codeā€¦ so you get the same result either way. You gain nothing. b) it immediately prohibits a whole bunch of other potential contributions for people that canā€™t use GPL code for one reason or another. So in the non-GPL case, you cast a wider net for contributions. In the GPL case, you get a much much smaller audience and therefore the potential contribution pool is much smaller.

It didnā€™t ā€œcostā€ you anything. Youā€™d have had to do that work if they hadnā€™t used your engine at all. One could argue that they got something for nothingā€¦ but theyā€™d have also gotten something for nothing if they didnā€™t make any changes at all or didnā€™t distribute it outside of their own organization. (GPL only requires that you provide source to the folks you deliver the product to.)

Edit: and again, I totally respect your right to choose GPL for all of the variety of reasons you mentionā€¦ but that one logic flaw always bugs me.

1 Like