JavaOne '08

Rikard and I will be giving a Technical session at JavaOne this year.  (See also here and here)  Come lend us your moral support, or at least give us some ideas on what you’d like to hear us talk about.

If I could at least be there I'd like to know this at the end of the session:

• How can Java and JMonkeyEngine give me a faster and more reliable game production pipeline?

It's also always good to see some performance comparsions of specific scenarios with C++, just to show that the smarter Java aproach can compensate the small performance gap.

Of course I'm talking about a "game production pipeline" oriented session and I'm not sure if this is the case. The key thing for me is:

• Probably most os the atendees are already good Java programmers

• Some of them had contact with other game engines, or even JME

• The vast majority suports the Java plataform passionately

• They PROBABLY just want ARGUMENTS to use Java and JME as tools for their next project

I saw in your blog "Paul" (dunno him) say that the production pipeline with OSS tools is still broken (solid model-with-bone-animation converters) so maybe this a good point to focus on as well.

I will most definitely be there this year.  This will be many people's potentially one and only chance to meet darkfrog.  :stuck_out_tongue:

I'll definitely make it to the technical session and let me know if you'd like me to help in any way (hold up drawings or heckle you…I'm quite versatile). :wink:

Omg! Take a photo of darkfrog!

sry for off-topic.

yay froggy! make sure you shout "Wow! cool!" many times during the talk!

MrCoder said:

yay froggy! make sure you shout "Wow! cool!" many times during the talk!

I'll do that while you talk and make croaking noises while Josh is talking. ;)

Great.  I'll make sure you "croak" loud.

Now I'm scared…  :-o

Like last year, part of our talk will be a video presentation of projects that are using the jMonkeyEngine.  If you have a project that you think would make a good addition to that video, let us know by PM or email.  We'd like a good mix of commercial, hobbyist and educational examples, so don't hold back.

did you say email or pm, darn, anyway - lllama continuous terrain with scene objects is my vote ( includes Momoko's texture splatting ), how long have i got ??

intending on adding fade in / fade out close scene objects too.

i really wanna be there!!!

anyways, we made this competition game in like 3 days its nothing fancy but maybe u can show how fast u can make a nice looking game with jme.

ill send u a screen shot or something once i get back to my computer haha~ :smiley:

Have you contacted the Lord of the Fjord/Matics folks?  And the ship battle game projected on the HUGE screen folks?  Those might be a nice addition to have.

Definitely, thanks for the suggestion.  Anyone else have suggestions of similar projects? :slight_smile:

heres the screen shot of the small game we made  :smiley:

cool, this looks fun and very nice.

can it be played somewhere ?

Core-Dump said:

cool, this looks fun and very nice.
can it be played somewhere ?

it can be played on my computer haha  :D

nope, sry i dont have any hosting place~ :|

Aw, Come on! you can put it anywhere (rapidshare even) and you will have lots of people download it and play it!  I would!

duenez said:

Aw, Come on! you can put it anywhere (rapidshare even) and you will have lots of people download it and play it!  I would!

lol. ill put it on my google code tonight~ glad u guys r interested  :D

sry guys i cant post the game just now. theres some copy right issues with one of the models. ill get it fixed as soon as possible.

Are you planning to publish your presentation from JavaOne? Is it possible to film your speech?

Most guys won't be able to take part in the conference, so it would be nice to watch some stuff later…