JDK Suddenly Missing?

Okay, so today I tried to start JME3 to work on my game, and it is complaining that my JDK is missing. I checked the directory, still there. Trying to use the --jdkhome option just prints out a few lines in the console and closes really quickly. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled both JDK and JME3. Still the same problem.

Check if the jdk is properly installed. Type java -version in console. If it doesn’t work, go to computer properties

>Advanced Settings
>Environment Variables
>And edit the Path variable, and put your jdk source directory in the end, it's something like :

[path]
;C:Program FilesJavajdk1.7.0binjava.exe
[/path]

Also make sure you've installed the SDK after installed the jdk.

java -version returns “1.7.0_02”. And i can’t find any part of that set of instructions. Both were uninstalled, then JDK installed, then JME.

Hmm. Are you talking about the jme or the SDK? Are you using the lastest builds? I use the jdk 7 too and it works like a boss. It’s the sun jdk ok? not the OpenJDK?

The SDK. It worked just fine yesterday, and nothing has changed since then. And yes, from oracle. Even using --jdkhome directed to the right spot still brings up the error. Is there no other way to force it to use the right spot?

idk. I had the same problem a long time ago. But I did a clean unninstall and install the jdk and the SDK and it worked like a boss. ccleaner is our friend sometimes :).

Java has always given me problems. If there was something comparable to jmonkey in c++, i would be there in an instant. C++ never pulls stuff like this.

Ogre might be worth a look, if you prefer c++, irrlicht is also quite nice, and I oppose, it does not that kind of stuff, but there are other funny errors tht only happen under special hardware combinations and similar ^^

Maybe you have a virus? I mean I don’t understand how it would just fail the next day. I had similar issues in Windows though so I am not too surprised

Try some simple steps,

1. do a simple hello world manually, and try to compile and run it directly from console, if this works the jdk is probably all right.

2. Test with a different ide(eclipse for example, as it is quite stable) that is not netbeans based, it may be that netbeans is for whatever reason not compatible with the current enviroment.

→ If this succeds as well, the problems lies in the netbeans/jme sdk and there is a starting point to investigate.

After several reboots, uninstalls, reinstalls, etc, I have managed to get it to work… by installing 3 versions of java. JDK 7u2 and 6u30 64-bit satisfy most apps and IDEs, and 7u2 32 bit satisfies one of my browsers and minecraft. Firefox still won’t recognize it…

There’s a Java entry in Control Panel where you can choose which is the default java version to use

Also if you have a 64bit system, you need a 32 and a 64 bit jvm. However only 7 or 6 should be enough. JDK tho, no JRE needed then anymore, as one is included in the JDK

@internetcliche said:
Java has always given me problems. If there was something comparable to jmonkey in c++, i would be there in an instant. C++ never pulls stuff like this.

Yea I also like C++ more, you don't have to worry about all those typical "java things" - you know, sdk's going up in smoke, having to use 64 bit processes on 64 bit platforms etc. *sigh*
@androlo said:
Yea I also like C++ more, you don't have to worry about all those typical "java things" - you know, sdk's going up in smoke, having to use 64 bit processes on 64 bit platforms etc. *sigh*

Heh, thats "cross platform issues", much more painful with C++, not to speak of the mess the language is, what the heck did they do to C there ;)

General rule of thumb: writing a Java app takes roughly the same amount of time it takes to track down the memory errors in the equivalent C++ app. :wink:

Yeah, but you don’t have to worry about “all the typical Java things”… like running on multiple platforms.

Java is java my fellow :). Nothing to discurss :).

@internetcliche said:

Yay, language war. Actually on topic, any way to get java apps to use the 64-bit java?

I agree with all, i was just being sarcastic in my post. None of the OPs problems seems to be java related, as opposed to general computer stuff.

My JDK has never vanished or spontaneously stopped working, nor anyone elses that i know. It is not a “java issue”. Also keeping all those jdk versions around is not a java issue either its because of multiple platforms blah blah.