jME 1.0 release candidate 1

Nice to hear positive results.  :slight_smile:

Sounds like a race condition if it's only happening on occasion and the debugger makes it go away.

Does it happen without Substance L&F too?

llama said:

Does it happen without Substance L&F too?

Some test results, each test ran 15 times:

• Substance L&F, JInternalFrame on the JDesktop contains a visible JComboBox: 3 freezes

• Substance L&F, JComboBox is invisible setVisible(false) : 0 freezes

• Windows "native" L&F, JComboBox is visible again : 0 freezes

Of course, 15 tests each are by far not enough for good results, but at least I haven't had a single freeze so far since I set the JComboBox to invisible. I should add for the record that I am using a hack in JMEDesktop to make swing popups work with java6, see this thread for details.

The race condition is most likely due to Substance. I had a similar problem with the Substance netbeans plugin. Once I removed the plugin the race condition was gone. I think this is a bug in the older Substance packages and it may have been fixed by kirill in the new 4.0 Substance release candidate.

realbadapple said:

it may have been fixed by kirill in the new 4.0 Substance release candidate.

Thanks for the info, I immediately tried RC4, but unfortunately got a freeze the 4th try :(

Thanks for great job guys!

Maybe I'll try to help you a little bit in the future, but I have to learn jME first :wink:

Hi guys…

checked it out from cvs (upgrage from 0.9)… sweet…

except that there are no cvs tags (except for v011 - which is also mentioned in the 0.11 release thread).

I like new releases (1.0? hell yeah) - but I also want to be able to roll back to them (in code). Especially when things like library requirements change (and aren't mentioned… lwjgl).

Please - even if there is no tagging of release candidates, in the future could all releases actually be cvs tagged? Please?

Thanks

–ebola

ebola said:

Please - even if there is no tagging of release candidates, in the future could all releases actually be cvs tagged? Please?

Sure. At least that's the plan :)

There's also been plans to migrate to SVN after 1.0. Then you can rollback all you like :slight_smile:

So seeing as jME is moving towards a full 1.0 release maybe it’d be time to create more of a jME community portal website. The good news is all the pieces to do that already exist on jmonkeyengine.com. I think it’d be beneficial to have an integrated jmonkeyengine.com with forums and wiki embedded, like Sun has done with their project darkstar community portal (http://www.projectdarkstar.com/).

It looks like the Project Darkstar site is using the same content management systems:

I think all that really is required is to install the Mambo/Joomla plugins that integrate the jmonkeyengine DokuWiki and SMF forums (plus some kind of DB synchronization to share Mambo/forums/dokuwiki registration and login information).

This could help jME newcomers, get an idea of the big picture of the jME community. Hopefully it'd also encourage more people to post news articles, and turn the jME community into more than just a forum. Plus new community tools could be added to the portal in the future, like a jME games, jME related projects, a live chat room etc.

doug, since you seem to have the free time to do this I would be happy to configure Joomla or Mambo on my server for JGN and let you set it up.  :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley: Haha well if I do get the time then I'll prototype it on my own site (It's got cPanel to install SMF, and Mambo and I've already installed Dokuwik)i then write up the instructions so that someone can do it on the jmonkeyengine.com site.

Or maybe whoever setup the Project Darkstar site could send me the details of how they put it all together. (I'll post over there)

It's really not an issue of complication, but rather of time…they take so much time to configure everything just right…I was annoyed just setting up my blog.  :stuck_out_tongue:

Alas, time is a measure of complexity  :wink: !

I know what you mean though, it's probably going to be tedious, change config/upload file >> refresh browser >> REPEAT loop, to get it all working.

llama said:

There's also been plans to migrate to SVN after 1.0. Then you can rollback all you like :)

That would be absolutely amazing, I know that the projecting I am currently working on would benefit a lot from this!
irrisor said:

ebola said:

Sure. At least that's the plan :)

I've asked this before, but could we also get a tarball or zip containing the JME sources, at least for future releases?  Sure, it's possible to dig out from cvs, but it would save some time for developers who need sources (sources are needed if you want to check what some non-documented or poorly documented function actually does, and for IDE:s like IntelliJ that like to pull javadocs directly from the sources).

Just a bit of nitpicking, otherwise, thanks for a new release of a very useful library :)

Oh, and btw, exactly where do I find the new logging system?

-- zzorn
zzorn said:

java.util.logging :P
sfera said:

zzorn said:

java.util.logging :P

Cool, thanks.  JUL -> java.util.logging didn't parse for me for some reason :)