JME 2 or 3?

I am about to start on a major educational project that will generate a large amount of data in the form of 2D coordinates. I've used JME2 for about a month now, and I've decided that I'd like to use it for data visualization. My question, is whether or not I should use JME2 or 3, keeping in mind the following parameters:

I will be working on this project for about a year.

I will need to display a (fairly) large amount of data as 3D objects.

The 'game' will be viewed solely from a top down view, RTS style, with the ability to select plotted data.

The 'game' will HAVE to run inside a JInternalPane inside a Swing JDesktopPane.

My concern is that JME2 will be have less support as JME3 progresses (and rightly so), but I'm also concerned that JME3 may not support the features I will need, and may have more bugs. What would you advise?

Hello Fiarr,

Everyone is different, I'd approach this from a view point of risk.

• As you've used jME2 for about a month, you know whether or not it has the capabilities to do everything you need - right?

• jME3 has now successfully reached the first alpha stage. Traditionally alpha stage of a product is liable to alteration, interface / functionality changing, and if you've not tested jME3 out for the functionality you need that is also an unknown.

jME3 then is a higher risk to use for a project, as it's unknown compared to jME2 which is stable (hence not going to change).

So then, if I were going to develop a

That's the way I've been leaning, I just wanted to make sure there isn't anything I've overlooked that would make a huge difference later. Thanks!