jME and 2D

Hello, this is a first-timer post here :slight_smile:

I've been looking at the apidocs for jme and I must say I'm really impressed. I started studying computer game programming about 10 months ago and I've mainly been focusing on 2D games to start with, and now that I feel like I have pretty much wrapped up that area I'm ready to move on to 3D stuff.

There are many concepts, lingo and stuff, that I'm not familiar with whe, n I'm reading the apidocs. I need something that I can relate to, so I was thinking if I couldn't try to make a 2D game using jME. I know that sounds oddbut I need to get my feets wet, even if it's only in very shallow water.

Any examples, tutorials, source code, for like a simple tile based game being implemented using jME?

Or any other general suggestion on how to best make a tile based game using jME?

Can't run it, get an exception

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.continueLaunch(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleApplicationDesc(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleLaunchFile(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError
at com.jme.furballz.FurBallzGame.cleanup(Unknown Source)
at com.jme.app.BaseGame.start(Unknown Source)
at com.jme.furballz.FurBallzGame.main(Unknown Source)
... 11 more

DANGER!  Renanse we need assistance!!! :-p

darkfrog

Welcome appel. :-p

Actually there’s a pretty good example of this already:

http://www.renanse.com/furballz/webstart/furballz.jnlp

I know the source the source used to be available for this game, but I don’t know where…perhaps good old Renanse can hook you up. :o

darkfrog

Looks like maybe it was compiled with 1.5 then run with 1.4 or something of that ilk?

That should give the whole ClassVersionExceptionThingy 99 instead of 98 or whatnot. :o

Never seen this one myself…

darkfrog

I have java 1.5 and got the same bug as appel.

Not a 'bug' really. The message means that the FurBallz classes were compiled against another version of the specified (jME) class and the changes made are incompatible (e.g. missing referenced attributes etc.).

So if you took a compiled version be sure to use the same library version the app was compiled against. Or compile Furballz yourself. (I think it compiles with jME .8, correct?)

I've tried with 0.7 and 0.8, using jdk 1.5 and 1.4, get tons of errors:

Severity   Description   Resource   In Folder   Location   Creation Time   Id
2   The import com.jme.util.geom.Debugger cannot be resolved   FurBallzGame.java   furball/src/com/jme/furballz   line 82   2. ma