jME and GTK

Hello folks,

Been a while since I last posted here (got a bit busy on other stuff) and it’s nice to see the progress made in the meanwhile. I just downloaded the SDK again (for Xubuntu this time) and got hurt by the awful look of the java interface elements that completely ignore my beautiful GTK theme, so I searched for a solution and found it on a netbeans topic. To all those of you using linux but did not figure this out yet, here it is:

Find and open jmonkeyplatform.conf, I found mine in /jmonkeyplatform/etc/.

Find this line:

[java]default_options="…"[/java]

Add this to the end of it, within the “…”:

[java]–laf com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel[/java]

Start jME3 SDK and enjoy =]

For those of you that are unsure:

[java]default_options="–branding jmonkeyplatform -J-Xms24m -J-Xmx512m -J-XX:PermSize=256m -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dsun.awt.noerasebackground=true -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dsun.java2d.opengl=false -Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false"[/java]

Changed to:

[java]default_options="–branding jmonkeyplatform -J-Xms24m -J-Xmx512m -J-XX:PermSize=256m -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dsun.awt.noerasebackground=true -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dsun.java2d.opengl=false -Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false --laf com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel"[/java]

…just make sure theres no issues (like you cannot see parts of the material editor or crashes due to alpha stuff etc.)

Good catch, it appears that in the materials editor most of the tickboxes are gone and a lot of the fields are a bit moved left and right. I never used the material editor myself but for others, that may be a good thing to note.