Jme and Network

Hi there !

I’m currently working on Nio networking, and I wonder how it could be integrated to Jme. The question is : would the jme network part does everything for the developper (no network code), or do you think the devs should handle manually the network code using a very easy Nio interface ?

If the last solution isn’t clear enough…

Think of a client class that extend a JmeClient class. It could be like that :

class Client
{

// What to do when the client receive a message from the server ?
     public void onReceive(ByteBuffer message)
     {
          send(message); // send a message to the server
     }
}

The programmer must make is own protocol, but network usage would be very easy for him.
So, what would you like to see in Jme for network implementation ?

I think that making a full networking protocol could be good for beginner, but having a total control of its protocol should be better for advanced programming...

(sorry for my not so good english :P)

Chman

Maybe simple methods/wrappers for sending things like coordinates and rotation. The user would just pop in a Vector3f or a Quaternion.

In jME the players of a multiplayer game would typically be extending Spatial, so the wrapper could look like:

sendSpatialInfo(Spatial) {
    send spatials coordinate
    send spatials rotation
}

A system for keeping track of players/names would also be great - sending strings is to expensive.

How far have you come with this? I'm also gonna need a networking solution for my game.
"Per" wrote:
Maybe simple methods/wrappers for sending things like coordinates and rotation. The user would just pop in a Vector3f or a Quaternion.

In jME the players of a multiplayer game would typically be extending Spatial, so the wrapper could look like:

sendSpatialInfo(Spatial) {
    send spatials coordinate
    send spatials rotation
}

Seems good to me. But what about all others things, like in-game chat, projectiles (for this one, the serve should handle it, this client would just send a "shoot projectile" message), etc ?

A system for keeping track of players/names would also be great - sending strings is to expensive.

Simply use an ID for each client :)

How far have you come with this? I'm also gonna need a networking solution for my game.

Well, I've made an independant networking framework that use TCP/IP only atm, but it works well. I plan to implement UDP support. You can find the poject page with downloads and examples here. Don't blame the bad code quality :?

Chman

So, does anybody from the team has a fixed idea of how networking should be implement into Jme ?

I would be pleased to try implementing it…

Chman

We’ve been pretty hesitant to approve networking systems due to the tendancy for games to have radically different networking needs based on the game type. However, having wrappers, utilities and convience classes that can handle the commonly needed tasks would be something I’m sure we’d consider.

It’s hard for me to say yes or no to something right now though. Networking is just something I haven’t put enough thought into, on how it would fit into jME.