jME doesn't perform too well under pressure

Because you are near going to release the 1.0, I decided to post this. I've got an nVidia GeForce 7600 GS (AGP). When I want to run shader tests normally, they work great. When I want to run them under graphics card "pressure" (i.e XGL/Compiz Fusion – installed compiz fusion today, waaaay better as beryl!), shaders don't work anymore. Does anyone have similiar results for other graphics cards, or other kinds of "pressure"? (i.e. windows aero glass – that's Pressure with capital P)

If this is a jME issue (and not an XGL or graphics card issue), you might wish to fix this before 1.0, since more and more people are using these techniques today (XGL, aero glass)

My guess would be that this is a XGL/Compiz Fusion issue :wink:

well everything is slower under beryl or compiz …

I think Compiz actually does things to OpenGL command streams in order for the OpenGL application and Compiz to be able to work at the same time. Sounds like something there isn't working as it should yet.

well playing games under compiz isn't a very bright idea.

I remember when i was using Ubuntu i had beryl installed, and i played XMoto ( which is not graphicly heavy game ), i had around 15 fps with GeForce 7600 GT.

I bought a new graphics card just so i can play Oblivion. And playing it under such enviroment is impossible.

So that means i'll probably have to enter a bug report to XGL (not compiz, since compiz does just the effects, XGL is the actual openGL binding, disabling compiz doesn't take away the bug). Aero glass probably wouldn't get affected, because it uses directX and not openGL (in other words, if aero glass used openGL, they would have the same problem).

irrisor said:

My guess would be that this is a XGL/Compiz Fusion issue ;)

I already thought so, that's why I didn't posted it.

In fact they both have the same "problem", the output has to be rendered to a texture. Under Vista however this implementation is (almost) entirely up to the vendor. Under Compiz I image it's more of a mix… (I think it uses a system once meant for using OpenGL over a remote connection like X itself), so this bug could still be either a Compiz or vender bug.

Would it be possible that they implement something that detects whether there are fullscreen openGL calls (like jME) and temporary switch back to normal X?

I have no idea honestly. I think that'd be tricky though… (just because there's one application doing fullscreen rendering doesn't mean that "behind" that there's no rendering going on).

In the end you could always launch your game from the shell in it's own X enviroment I suppose :slight_smile:

Try updating your CVS copy. There were some fixes for fallback code related to render to texture and the like…