First start:

1 tank

1 vehicle on wheels

1 small terrain

First PersonView

Third PersonView

CommanderView

GUI

(tank and vehicle should be able to fire)

I think this is a good beginning

yeah thats it…

so lets start filling the document…these will be the key titles for now:

1> terrain feature

2>art assets : models or characters, lights, the environment, their behaviour etc…

3>GUI

4>VIEW

first plan what we should need or achieve(for now what dark phoenix has said) then according to document start implementing…

we could write this document in wiki page of our project just for time being now…so we'll be providing all the possible feature needed for our first small protoype in this document. After its ready we'll start our work(implementation)…

so guys what do u say !!!

I can do the GUI Design (not much work) and our first vehicle.

Vehicle:

4 wheels

1 turret

Will look like:

The models will be 3ds. One Model is the vehicle, the other is the turret.

They will have the same null (point), so no worry, how to get the turret on the vehicle^^

The wheels are the problem, because the can’t have the same null (point).

So what we need:

-Someone, who add a third person view to the vehicle

-Someone, who modify the physic 2 vehicle class

-Someone, who add a rotation to the turret, which should follow the third person cam

-Anyone, who can find a good solution for our wheel problem!!! (Don’t forget, there will be more vehicles with wheels!!!)

I will have finished the model tonight (without texture)

And my name is “DarkPhoenixX”, bastards!!^^

Don't worry. If nobody use it, i will use it!

Second, as you say, it's a prototype. That's why I don't make a texture. Any model can be fixed fast, but every texture is lost afterwards.

Planning is good, but at the moment, we talk a little bit too much.

First we need the basis and that's why it's good to start with the vehicles, because this is easy to develop!

I think as a kick start for prototype, lets do it simple…

lets make a prototype in phases(iterative nature)…

In first phase prototype will have the following:

1>1 map

2>soldiers(atleast 2 or 3) and vehichles

3>moving soldiers and vehichles on the map

Output of each and every phase will give more clear picture and we'll get to know what we want…

DarkPhoenixX said:

So what we need:

-Someone, who add a third person view to the vehicle
-Someone, who modify the physic 2 vehicle class
-Someone, who add a rotation to the turret, which should follow the third person cam
-Anyone, who can find a good solution for our wheel problem!!!! (Don't forget, there will be more vehicles with wheels!!!)

for this i want programmers and artist together to discuss physics of objects and others to see the game working....

any suggestion from members and project leaders ?................

Sorry for my stupid question (I know, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers…) but the wheels-problem, is it because there are four wheels and only one model?

padam said:

I think as a kick start for prototype, lets do it simple.............

lets make a prototype in phases(iterative nature).....

In first phase prototype will have the following:
1>1 map
2>soldiers(atleast 2 or 3) and vehichles
3>moving soldiers and vehichles on the map

Output of each and every phase will give more clear picture and we'll get to know what we want.............

we'll be adding new features in every new phase as picture gets more clear........we'll be making prototype keeping training level in mind....................Our actual and final game will have have a TRAINING LEVEL where player will be familiar with the basic and advanced controls of the game..................

i mean if prototype is perfect then we can incorporate in TRAINING LEVEL(like soldier movements, driving vehicles, interacting with objects etc....) of our actual game , all the features in TRAINING LEVEL will be included in our prototype......

As chapter1 of our story is in process......so we could make prototype keeping TRAINING LEVEL in mind......

we'll start with simple stuff as i said earlier, for 1st phase......then we'll be incorporating new feature in every next phase.....

so what say guys............

…soldiers(at least 2 or 3) and vehicles…

Of course…ARE YOU CRAZY!!!

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH********'''''####+++##++#'++++

Sorry, no I feel better^^

To create the soldiers will take time, much time, the animation will more time, I don't want mention textures and HELL Hairs!!

AND YOU WANT AT LEAST 2 or 3? Just a kick start for a prototype?

I can have vehicles, but without a good demo, I don't start making soldiers!

The question is simple, so is the answer. Wheels turn around if you drive therefore you have to rotate them(without the model of course!!!).

Further every wheel need the null (point) in the center of the wheel.

After you load the vehicle and his wheels, you must reattached them to the vehicle and hope you guess good(Because the Wheel don't know where they are belonging! Bad wheel, really bad!!!^^).

DarkPhoenixX said:

....soldiers(at least 2 or 3) and vehicles....

Of course.....ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH********'''**''####+++##++#'**++++

Sorry, no I feel better^^
To create the soldiers will take time, much time, the animation will more time, I don't want mention textures and HELL Hairs!!
AND YOU WANT AT LEAST 2 or 3? Just a kick start for a prototype?

I can have vehicles, but without a good demo, I don't start making soldiers!

Ok may be what i proposed demanded much.....But i want to say that we are not in hurry to make prototype......We don't expect it to complete at one night.....It will take time.....So need patience....

and main thing is, we have to make bit effective and impressive prototype that would reflect our actual game.............If its problem to make 2 soldiers than at least we should try 1 soldier............

so anyway.....Is there any other suggestion ?.................
zagibu said:

I think you should open a new thread [jME Game] Prototype and start organizing things there.

Yes, i would support that too. Here its all about the design document and process
Ender said:

If you need some little help with Art I can do some model (complete with textures and animations) also of soldiers.

I think especially in this area, we need any help, because most people here are developers, not artists. This might be an interesting reading for you then: http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=9453.0
padam said:
If its problem to make 2 soldiers than at least we should try 1 soldier............

This project is interesting.

If you need some little help with Art I can do some model (complete with textures and animations) also of soldiers.

I only would like to understand better specifications for the models. Also, I read the game desing document draft, but I do not understand if this is a strategic game (like, for example, Command And Conquer) or anything else.

Ok, my bad, I lost the introduction at the end of page 1, that says it is a RTS.

yeah…we need an artist desperately !!! ;)…so ender we'll be glad if u join us…

Ok, I am back home, from a travel during weekend. I will read the thread that Vardamir linked. Meanwhile you can tell me what I should do to join.

Ok, I read the thread and I sent the email.

Well… returning to this thread topic… :stuck_out_tongue: Section 3.1 (Game flow) of the conceptual design document says:

“Lays out all possible ways to play the game. This is just a list of state chains that stand for the different game modes and how they are structured.”

I think it is quite important to define the game flow in an early phase of the project, at least a very simple one, because having this done we can start to plan a way to organize the code (architecture).

Here there are some examples for game flow diagrams:

http://www.felixgers.de/teaching/game/game-modules-talk/GameFlow.html

http://www.ugrad.physics.mcgill.ca/~beek/alienslaughter/as_game_flow.png

http://store1.adobe.com/devnet/devices/articles/u10game_fungo/fig06.jpg

What do you think?

Yes, this is a good approach. And we can create a basic flow, and then create details on every part of it step by step. Please create an task in the google issue tracker for this.

I've done lots of flow diagrams in the past. I was intending on doing a lot of restructuring and filling in of information with the GDD in the near future. I think at this point in time, however, it is more important to get a simple prototype up and running because that will serve as a lot greater of a motivation than an expansive document. In commercial games development you need to have a lot more off a fleshed out GDD than we have before any coding or art creation begins, but this is a community project. The faster you get something playable the more interested people get in lending a helping hand.

I've been an active member of GameDev.net for several years now and I've seen an insane amount of "projects" that have a 200 page design document and no proof of concept or prototype behind it, so the game garners no interest. Having a prototype ASAP is essential to keeping interest, because without anything to play, there simply is no game.

I am going to be working on the GDD after I deliver the assets I already promised (which means soon). My opinion is that our goal as a team should be to get what is outlined in the Prototype thread running as the highest priority. I will handle the GDD end of things. I am hoping to get a strong line of communication open with zagibu in outlining the direction of the game.