[JME GAME]design document(proxy wars)

I am trying to figure out possible look of Caves and Sheltans. I am basing on the story found on svn/trunk/media/story/overview-en.odt.

After I read it carefully I come out with a doubt. I am not sure of the level of evolution of the 2 populations. It seems that there is a sort of technology advancement, but I cannot figure out what level.

Have they vehicles like cars? Have they weapons like guns and machineguns? What about railways?

If science is considered a blasphemy for the imposed religion, how can they be evolved technologically?

Ender said:

Have they vehicles like cars? Have they weapons like guns and machineguns? What about railways?
If science is considered a blasphemy for the imposed religion, how can they be evolved technologically?

Technologically they are at a level comparable to the early 20th century here on earth. They are supplied by the factions and so they gain access to sophisticated technology too (weapons especially to fight their wars). The preservers still try to keep science a blasphemy, but since the two factions have some interest in the planet, they cannot assure that their is no science any more. Imagine Hills as a planet, that is on a turning point. The global factions brought war and technology, this means, the planet will be free, or it will be destroyed. With the progressing war, the planet gets more and more technology.
And at the time, where the game begins, the war rages for years already

I also agree with zer0wolf, that we need a prototype to play around with.

PS: In my imagination, at the end of the story, our hero will escape the planet, because he has a global mission too...

Thanks for the informations… I have already some ideas… unfortunately I have been busy in the latest 2 weeks… but I plan to make some drawings for concept art asap.

Cool, i can't wait to see them :smiley:

I am working on the first concept for a soldier of the Caves tribe.

I already have other ideas for both the factions, but I lack the time to do them all faster.

If the image does not display here, please click on this link.

That's looking very good. I like the idea with the helmet. And he's looking like a WWI soldier, which perfectly fits in the story

I am happy that you like it.

I still have to finish several details in the colored paint (for example, adding bags, ammo, …). Though, the idea behind this concept is the Caves tribe origin. I imagined them as specialized as bomber (T.N.T., dynamite, …) style combat and related techniques. This one, in particular, is a flamethrower infantry man.

So you think, the two tribes should have different combat styles?

Yes. Of course it is only a proposal; but is what came in my mind, while reading the really detailed description and history of the 2 factions/races, written in the "proxywars_overview-en.odt" document.

Reading it I had immediately a vision of Sheltans having lightweight armor, weapons and corresponding combat style: I see them as more precise… they might use snipers, Navy Seals/SWAT/ParaTroops like troops.

Caves, instead, use highweight weapons and armors. They use dynamite, rockets, cannons, miners and engineers…

I don't mean they must be totally different and that Shealtans should not use rockets or cannons. What I mean, is that they should be more proficient with their combat attitude.

Of course, I am aware that this idea could lead to a big effort in game balance.

I agree, but that leads me to the question: where is our GDD author?

lol