JME Game Engine for dummies?

A while black I was playing around with the editor of spore galactic adventures. I was pretty amazed by it's ease of use etc etc. Actually if it wasn't for it's poor event and actions feature set and the impossibility to import my own models I would probably have tried to develop a "game" on that and be done with all the coding required for jME. So today it occurred to me: why bother making an entire game instead of just an editor? After that, the game would be peanuts! (well not really, but for me, a lot easier at the least). About a few seconds later it occurred to me that  something similar probably already exist. So, does it? And if not, would people be interested in such a thing?

I would personally be interested in making such a thing but I don't think I have the skills or knowledge it requires. So I would require something of an "advisor" at the least.

A rough concept is about like this:

• Use mapspinner as the terrain editor.
  • A scene editor to place objects, adjust the to ground level, rotate, etc (or at least that's what I gather a scene editor does)
  • Physics implementation (and the possibility to switch it off) and designating what nodes are physics nodes
  • Attach "behaviours" to an object (actually "attaches" it to a custom rootNode with the object as argument)
  • Pre-create basic items/units like bullets, tracked vehicles, explosions on death etc.
  • Some form of multiplayer/online implementation
  • Be developed for jME3

Basically the editor should enable the end-user to make a basic and very standard game (like soldier based deathmatch shooter) with just a few clicks, more complex and original things would require more work as new classes should be written.

So, any interest?

i'm on the same page as you good sir…

have a look at the java game framework…

that project is getting started again…

and from what i've seen so far of it it looks right up your alley…

plus i'm intending on getting either scene worker to prototype jgf stuff or to have it save jgf scenes so it would function as a type of editor…

also hoping to get map spinner into the next release…

all this is jme2 at the moment but it would be great to assemble a team on this type of project…

we could all learn a lot and actually add to existing projects as opposed to starting from scratch…

i'm in and i know jjmontes (jgf author) is also keen…

also note that IR editor is doing very similar work to what you have suggested…

This is probably one of the most sorely needed features as jME, as it right now remains mostly restricted to those with a decent amount of programming savvy…  There's no startup experience like importing a model straight into a scene editor and saying "oh man, that was easy!" (not that it's currently a difficult task)

That said, ncomp mentioned JGF, which could certainly be up your alley :slight_smile:

Hmmm, from what I read it looks more coder-oriented than "end user"-oriented.

I was thinking of something that reminds more of a map editor that comes with a commercial game than a "proper" game engine.

It's implementation with scene worker sounds interesting though. I'll look into it.

Very recently a fellow codemonkey posted on the exact same subject. You should get in touch (e-mail comes recommended for faster replies).

JGF and SceneWorker would be of help. SceneWorker also has a standalone version. But at this time it’s too early to adopt JGF unless you are willing to accept major bugs and changes.

I think you are looking for something like the project described in this thread: http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/forum/index.php?topic=12196.0. MW3D should have been such a project, but I don’t know if it is still being worked on.

Last I heard JMW3D was discontinued. I read that somewhere on this forum, not sure where anymore though.

While adopting JGF would mean you'll get a lot of missing features and bugs etc. it would help us a lot in determining what features people would need. There's only so much we can come up with ourselves…

Last thought I had on this was building on SceneWorker (if permission is given ofc) and cannibalizing as much as possible from JGF (again, if I get permission for it). I've put this idea on hold however while I finish my university project (a supposedly simple raytracer that got a bit out of hand when I became too enthousiastic about it).

Its a shame the sceneworker/mapspinner pair didnt happen faster or this would be already done by now :slight_smile:

i've had to drop a lot of plans for scene worker due to the fact that i'm working on a commercial jme project at the moment…

i am updating and radically changing scene worker functionality in line with this new project…

mapspinner integration is the first thing on the todo list once i complete this project…

Ah nice, I haven't managed to keep scene worker working on my Ubuntu desktop yet but from the videos it looks very nice. Also I'm currently working on an event editor based on what I saw from UDK, perhaps we could integrate that as well. Still a long way to go though and I'm dividing my free time between that and 3d modeling.

hehe, I know what you mean! And the problem: too less freetime :smiley:

I haven't managed to keep scene worker working on my Ubuntu desktop yet

Where is the problem? Maybe we can help!? I have installed it from svn inside eclipse and it works quite well
(although I'm not really using it,yet :D )

It freezes, locks up or starts behaving "funny" after a short while… go figure. But I haven't really tried anything yet, like you said, free time constrains.

scene worker does?

i've no reports of any behaviour like this…

might be something i've missed for linux…

can you pm me?

thanks…

Relax, probably an error on my end. I'll check it again when I have the time, most likely bad setup.