JME History video

I’ve been playing with Gource for a bit when i thought i might try it out on JmonkeyEngine, since it is one of the most active Open source projects I’ve ever seen. It took an entire two days to import all of the code into a Git repository, then run the simulation, then convert it to an AVI and then add the music, however its finally finished and i Hope everyone enjoys watching all of JME’s history in 6 minutes with music:

6 Likes

Wow, really cool. Fits in with the planned final release / deprecation of jME2 :slight_smile: I’d love to see this for jME3, but I guess I cannot expect you to go through all this again (although the history is a lot shorter ;))

Thanks

I can actually make one for JME3, it wasn’t that bad, i just set it up and let it run, besides, i have ALL the history on my computer now, any new videos for JME3 from any branch won’t take longer than an hour.

I’ll see if i can work something up, but i need another song then :slight_smile:

EDIT

I just tried gource on the JME3 branch, it wen't Really fast (i estimated it would take an hour and it took 10 minutes), but it doesn't look quite as good and its a lot shorter. not to mention, i might never find music that fits as well as that other track does. I'll see if i can mess around with it a bit more.

Yeah, I am also interested in just the look of it compared to jME2.

Seriously beautiful and cool! :slight_smile:

Open source collaborations are beautiful :slight_smile: This is brilliant. Certainly not any type of contribution I could have expected. This video will go perfectly along with the 2.1 FINAL release; I hope it’s okay with you that I use it in a soonish blogpost?

I think one for jME3 would be appropriate when we go stable. Also, would it be possible to incorporate other closely related repositories? such as jMP contributions. If that could be possible, it would also be cool to some time make a video displaying the progress of all the projects that jME3 tie into, like LWJGL, NiftyGUI, Bullet Physics and many others. That would get huge, he he.

Feedback

• How come 720p isn’t available?
  • I think the “7 years of jMonkeyEngine” introduction should be the very first seconds of the movie, before anything else is shown. When the “explosion” of development happens I’d like to see every bit I can. I think maybe you could also add “since 2003…”
  • Could it be possible to double the speed during some sections? The song and visuals deliver a fascinating experience, but I think a shorter playtime of about ~3 minutes would greatly increase the general appeal of the video. The internet generation is not known for it’s patience after all.
  • Likewise, could some sections be slowed down? Sometimes there are “explosions” of development that might deserve a slower take, though others of course look really cool as just quick bursts. Finally, if the speedup/slowdown is possible, a simple indicator like a subtle (slightly transparent maybe) x2 or /2 sign or something would be a nice way of communicating clearly with the viewer.

Thanks

That would be great,

Please feel free to use it wherever you want.

And I think your right about a JME3 video, I’ll wait until it goes stable and then there should be enough history to make a video out of it.

wow…I want a change log like that in google code !!!

nehon said:
wow....I want a change log like that in google code !!!

That would be awsome :)

- How come 720p isn’t available?

I had a few issues with my graphics card and Windows movie maker (the audio and music are compiled together with the introduction and credits in Movie maker), i just resolved them and i'm compiling a new version now at 720p.
I think the “7 years of jMonkeyEngine” introduction should be the very first seconds of the movie, before anything else is shown. When the “explosion” of development happens I’d like to see every bit I can. I think maybe you could also add “since 2003…”

got it, good idea and I made both changes. it'll be up in a bit.

- Could it be possible to double the speed during some sections? The song and visuals deliver a fascinating experience, but I think a shorter playtime of about ~3 minutes would greatly increase the general appeal of the video. The internet generation is not known for it’s patience after all.

believe it or not, i did exactly that already, and that braught it down to 6 minutes. if i make it any shorter you won't be able to see the cool explosions of progress and stuff. However if i make a JME3 one, that should be about 2 minutes long (its just hard to compress 7 years into a short amount of time)

- Likewise, could some sections be slowed down? Sometimes there are “explosions” of development that might deserve a slower take, though others of course look really cool as just quick bursts. Finally, if the speedup/slowdown is possible, a simple indicator like a subtle (slightly transparent maybe) x2 or /2 sign or something would be a nice way of communicating clearly with the viewer.

it actually does something like that. if you look closely you'll notice that in the beginning it runs at around 10 seconds per day. after the first explosion i sped it up considerably and also set it to speed up if there is inactivity. this means that the inactive periods of development run through quickly and the active periods with lots of development run slower so you can see the details. i couldn't really do much with that massive branch that came out and dissapeared though.

However i will see if i can add some small signs to notify you when its speeding up and slowing down.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad to have input on what could improve the video.

EDIT

just finished the upload at 720p:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh7uo2gxLdA

enjoy

Awesome!