jME IRC/Jabber channel

Is there some kind of official group-chat established for the jME community where developers can stop by for troubleshooting, guidance or just a good time? I’d think an IRC-room on Freenode would be ideal in your case. Still, would be great if more communities started acknowledge Jabber as a great chat-platform.

Anyways, you’re free to come join #Radakan at irc.freenode.net, but obviously there should be an official place for all jME developers and supporters to gather and exchange tips and ideas on-the-go.

Edit: Well, I probably spoke a bit too soon on this one. I see you’ve got #jME up and running, that’s good. However, it doesn’t seem like you’ve been promoting this channel much… You know, there are services like Mibbit out there which makes IRC-chat so much more accessable and enjoyable for everyone.

Anyways, you’ve got yourself one more daily visitor & idler now at least :wink:

Actually, irc channels and forums are often a hard thing to mix.  Forums are great for troubleshooting because you can read through past posts of people that may have had the exact same problems.  If a chat room was supported any answers issued can only be used by the people that are currently monitoring that room; unless there was some sort of logging.  However then someone  must monitor and distill any information that may be useful from all the chatting, to make matters worse one mans useful information is another's useless trivia.

basixs said:

Actually, irc channels and forums are often a hard thing to mix.
I disagree. A forum is very suitable for asking questions for the very first time, whereas a live chat-room is suitable for quick answers to common questions.
If a chat room was supported any answers issued can only be used by the people that are currently monitoring that room; unless there was some sort of logging. However then someone  must monitor and distill any information that may be useful from all the chatting (...)
True, but wouldn't it be worth it? Documentation never takes severe damage from the ocational revisions, which would surely happen more often as users are directed to these tutorials, but they might come to find them lacking in some places.

i think an irc chat is a nice addition to a forum.

You could look at it as some kind of FAQ.

I often have a lot of small questions who could easier be answered in a chat than to clutter the forum with it :slight_smile:

there is an IRC room - #jme @ freenode

logs are here: http://echelog.matzon.dk/?jme

I'm at work where most things are blocked, if anyone knows an easy way I'd likely be able to connect I'd probably lurk in there most week days.

Shameless bump  :smiley:

There are several people on the channel. I actually had a conversation with Core-Dump yesterday :slight_smile: Its on the quiet side there usually, but I figure the more people read this thread and join, the more likely the channel will become more useful

http://mibbit.com/ works like a charm.

Core-Dump said:

Unfortunately that's blocked!  :(
Gentleman Hal said:

Core-Dump said:

Blocked? I can access #jME just fine.

His work filters the site…

Gentleman Hal said:

Core-Dump said:

As unfair mentioned I meant the site (mibbit) is blocked by my works internet filters, more specifically for those interested  :P

Access Denied (policy_denied)

Your system policy has denied access to the requested URL or content categorization: "Web Chat;Internet Communication".

I don't know if they work off a blacklist or whitelist, but if it's a blacklist you could set up a site to act as a proxy

example:  www.example.com/proxypage.php?site=http://mibbit.com

where your proxypage.php would download the code from whatever site and redisplay it for you.  Your other (and more useful/safe - especially if they log your net traffic) option would be to set up a VNC/VPN session to your home computer/network - that would allow you to do almost anything safely as long as the stream was encrypted.  You might have to connect to home on port 80, depending on how they have filters set up.  The only reason that wouldn't work would be if they use packet inspection.

That said, doing any of those things could get you in trouble depending on your corporations policies, so don't do it if it's going to get you fired or something…

Thanks for the idea, however it does smack of way to much effort to get onto a channel it seems hardly no one uses!

I'll just stick with the forums, which thankfully aren't blocked (yet…)

could someone add an menu entry on the frontpage under 'support' to point to the irc channel on freenode.net?

Support

Getting Started

Documentation

Wiki

Javadocs

Discussion Forums

#jme on Freenode.net  <---- new  new new

Core-Dump said:

could someone add an menu entry on the frontpage under 'support' to point to the irc channel on freenode.net?

Support
Getting Started
Documentation
Wiki
Javadocs
Discussion Forums
#jme on Freenode.net  <---- new  new new
You might draw more attention to that proposal if you post it here.

we could use a new owner of the channel - someone "involved" in jme, more so than a lurker

I dont think that this is a problem… People who are more active frequent this channel anyways. The question if the active people should be opped or whatever does not really exist. I believe that the current owner has done a great job keeping the channel going (although as a lurker) for years, through period of complete inactivity… He has maintained a nice logging service which is available for all of us… I really see no reason to change the current system. Unless YOU want to take up the job and offer an even better and stable service.

I believe what you really are saying that you wish someone 'more involved with jME' would take more 'active interest' in the IRC channel. Of-course it would be nice to have such people on the channel, but as it has been stated, the IRC has several drawbacks over the forum (although advantages also). I think it is good if the IRC would remain as a first stop for simple questions and a place to have a longer more abstract discussions… but deep technical stuff would still go to the forum, where it would be of more use to other users as well…

But nevertheless I urge everyone to idle the IRC and just give us a visit whenever they can :slight_smile:

Edit… meh… I just realized you ARE the current owner of the IRC channel…  :smiley:

Well, job well done so far, I am sad you want to quit the job.

i don't know, but i guess it would make sense if the channel owner would be renanse or another jme developer, but no one is there frequently :slight_smile:

an channel op is not really needed, since there is no spamming or anything else going on.

I am not trying to quit - or leave!

its just that I was always auto-opped which is annoying. Then I tried to change that - but I couldn't. I didn't have access rights.

Then I checked who the owner was - and saw that it was someone called staff:

[08:35:53] -FN'NickServ- Information on staff (account staff):
[08:35:53] -FN'NickServ- Registered : Jul 02 22:13:17 2001 (7 years, 4 weeks, 4 days, 08:22:51 ago)
[08:35:53] -FN'NickServ- Last seen  : Jun 11 23:11:22 2003 (5 years, 7 weeks, 4 days, 07:24:46 ago)
[08:35:53] -FN'NickServ- Email      : noemail
[08:35:53] -FN'NickServ- Flags      : Hold
[08:35:53] -FN'NickServ- *** End of Info ***

So to change that - we need a new owner. Since having a #<channel> name requires "official" registration I think it makes sense that it isn't me. #<channel> = official channel related to a project, ##<channel> = unofficial channel related to a project.

I'd be happy to manage it if need be - I just dont think I should be the owner.

For now, I set the NOOP flag on my nick, which stops the auto-op.

Hope this clarifies it a bit