JME+Lemur OS Window Manager (WM) Embedding applications

While using lemur, I thought on embedding other applications in a panel.
I am still fighting with it, the most I managed to do was to make screenshots of specific windows and try to load them as a texture every few seconds. (it is still not working).

The real problem tho is forwarding keyboad and mouse events to the applications.

I was reading this:

is not trivial and may not work if preconditions arent met.

anyone has tried that b4 that could share some info?
I think it should plug directly into Xorg in some way.

PS.: I have no idea if this kind of thing may ever work on windows btw. as far I know it can only work on Xorg.

might wanna tag this with the Lemur category :slight_smile:

It’s not really a Lemur question, though.

I think the question is why you would want to do this. Somebody already made a javafx bridge. That kinda solves most of what you would want to do in java (videos, mature GUI, etc).

I think you guys are misunderstanding his question. He wants to write a window manager… like to run other application inside of.

1 Like

@jayfella @asser_fahrenholz

we have (on linux):

• compiz window manager
  • metacity (gnome) window manager
  • kde window manager
  • JWM (extremelly light and fast) window manager
    there are so many others, but the correct name are not coming to my mind now…

there is the java project
http://javadesktop.org/articles/LookingGlass/
that is meant to be a windowmanger too

but it seems not only dead but also not that necessary/useful, as in linux (at least) compiz is the 3D desktop, and (with a lot of effort and spent time) we can even create new compiz plugins to make it be more like what we want.

What I am trying is to use the cool hotness :wink: of jmonkey + lemur, to have a real 3d desktop, where we could even throw all windows away, with fireworks and all we want, fight some monsters, complete some mission, and go back to work, without opening a game application. Or any other weirdos you may immagine/want :), like store some files in a golden chest, and others in a basket, and these would represent our filesystem in some way, and so on :slight_smile:

btw, on windows we have

• windows window manager
    (I couldnt hold myself, sorry hehe)
1 Like