jME on Playstation 3

Well, I decided to have a little fun and installed Yellow Dog linux on my PS3, it was actually quite easy.  However, I was extremely disappointed to see that it only comes with the JDK 1.4.2.  I was hoping to try and get a jME demo up and running on it just for kicks.  Also, I tried running a prime number generator program I had written with my wife and I was shocked and saddened to see it actually ran significantly slower than on my AMD 64 3200+.  I would assume it has something to do with it being 1.4.2 and probably not compiled 64-bit, but it let the air out of my desire to utilize the Cell processor for my own evil purposes. :frowning:

I haven't given up yet though and if I can figure out a way to get the JDK 1.6 running on it compiled 64-bit then I will try to get jME running on it and send some screenshots. :slight_smile:

As far as i know you are not able to use the 3d hardware of the PS3. They don't allow it. :frowning:

So new nice JME apps on PS3. :frowning:

Oh yeah…I remember reading something about that.  I would assume software rendering might be possible with Mesa or something?

Just found this article, thought it was pretty interesting:

http://www.betanews.com/article/IBM_Shops_Cell_Processor_to_Indie_Game_Developers/1172072700

I would be very suprised if Java on the PS3 could utilize the Cell-processors. They are more similar to shaders on GPU's than regular CPU's and require pretty specific coding. To use the Cell-processors you will probably need to use C/C++ or ASM. My guess is that Java only runs on the PowerPC processor.

Ugh…I'm afraid you're probably right, but I want to write Java programs that use 2 terraflops of power! :o

Maybe before 1.7 is released they'll add support for the Cell processor…it could happen.  :wink:

I researched the PS3 CELL processor a fair bit.  I think for TV's, home entertainment systems, it is GREAT… but as the main CPU in a computer… not so good.  I think a CELL processor with a regular x86 main CPU is the way things should go… having to do a switch over will fail to work in the market… market demands backwards compatibility.

I've seen some talk in the industry of just that, of doing a dual x86 CPU and CELL mobo.  We get our super fast single thread, and our mathematical powerhouse, thats how I think the CELL would get into the PC market.

However they already are working on products that with a CELL processor in your monitor that handles decompressing data and potentially skinning, particle effects etc, in co-operation with the GPU and CPU in your computer!!

Well, one of the big features of the cell processor is the virtualization support to simultaneously run multiple operating systems and be able to emulate x86 pretty darn well.  I haven't done this myself yet, but I've been considering installing FC6 on my PS3 (since I can't get Yellow Dog to run with JDK 1.6) to see how well it performs in comparison with Yellow Dog with direct PPC support.

and be able to emulate x86 pretty darn well

Woah, I completely missed that... I read that it couldn't run WINE because it requires x86... so I was under the impression x86 wasn't gonna happen... kinda of a asinine assumption I made.

There's a nice tutorial out there on how to write code to utilize the Cell processor with their SDK in C++ so I'm considering playing around with that a little as well.

I think support will get better and hopefully the 3D acceleration will be unlocked…Sony just needs to have the right amount of pressure from the Linux community to "make it so". :wink:

There's a nice tutorial out there on how to write code to utilize the Cell processor with their SDK in C++ so I'm considering playing around with that a little as well.

Hey darkfrog where is that tutorial? Thank you
madlion said:

As far as i know you are not able to use the 3d hardware of the PS3. They don't allow it. :(

So new nice JME apps on PS3. :(

But I found a RSX driver to do it :)

Let me know if you succeed in using JME 2 on PS3 :D I know that some people succeeded in using BD-Java but it is very limited.