jME Physics 2 and PhysX

Hi all,

using JPhysX I started an implementation of jME Physics 2 for PhysX. It's not quite complete, but basic tests are working (TestBoxes, TestBasicJoints, TestDomino, TestStressPhysics). But as JPhysX is not really open source (the input files for SWIG are closed source) and I discovered some drawbacks of PhysX (no cylinders, poor materials, not very lively support/community), I'm not sure I will continue work on the PhysX binding. It's in CVS, though, for all people to have a look at it or even work on it…

/Irrisor

But as JPhysX is not really open source (the input files for SWIG are closed source) and I discovered some drawbacks of PhysX (no cylinders, poor materials, not very lively support/community), I'm not sure I will continue work on the PhysX binding

sad to hear that.

how's performance in comparison to ode ?

It really depends on the scenario. It seems PhysX is capable of simulating larger islands of connected bodies. ODE is more accurate and faster in all other cases (high number of contact always was ODE weakness).

irrisor said:

It really depends on the scenario. It seems PhysX is capable of simulating larger islands of connected bodies. ODE is more accurate and faster in all other cases (high number of contact always was ODE weakness).

It is quite strange. In available demos physX behaves more smooth, accurate(wheels demos) and fast (cloth demos). Number of commercial games and applications proves physx's quality.

Recent news about ageia's purchasing by nvidia shows appeal of this platform.

The Unreal 3 engine

The Microsoft Robotics Studio

Auto Assault

Bet On Soldier: Blackout Saigon

Bet On Soldier: Blood Of Sahara

CellFactor: Revolution (free single-level tech demo game)

City Of Villains

Dark Physics (tech demo)

Fallen Earth (due for release 2008)

Infernal

Medal of Honor: Airborne

Rail Simulator

Silverfall

Shadowgrounds Survivor

Stoked Rider: Alaska Alien

Switchball

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2

Two Worlds

Unreal Tournament 3

Warmonger Operation: Downtown Destruction

need more?

Hello Uree,

I wanted to test your PhysX implementation. Does it reacts on the Material Stuff of JMEPhysics? Because I have made some Ghosts Objects, but they collide like all other Objects.

Do you know this problem? Any idea for a Workaround?