jME + Project Darkstar

Hi there!

It's been awhile, been away doing other things and am just getting back up to speed on jME to see if I can use it for a little idea I have.

Has anyone been doing anything with http://www.projectdarkstar.com and jME as a networking solution?

Darkstar has just gone open source [gpl ish] and was interesting in peoples opinions.

Cheers,

sv

edit:

ok…found this discussion from april on darkstar and jME [rtff!]

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=4945.0

any updates?

I've done some samples and tests using Darkstar.  I might be able to find them if you were needed some examples to get started with jME?

It might be a good idea to outline what you're wanting to do if you want some good feedback about recommendations and considerations using Darkstar though.

Also, Jeff comes and goes around here, so perhaps he'll notice this also and be able to give a more informed perspective. :wink:

ty Darkfrog!

Anything would be helpful.

I just want to do some prototyping as a first step, comparing the +/- of the different networking options for the application I have in mind. Scalability is one key requirement,  which is why I'm tending towards darkstar atm.

sonicviz said:

Hi there!
It's been awhile, been away doing other things and am just getting back up to speed on jME to see if I can use it for a little idea I have.

Has anyone been doing anything with http://www.projectdarkstar.com and jME as a networking solution?

Hello,

I have been using JNAG on the top of Darkstar in the last few months to make a prototype with a ugly 2D top view (so I was not using JME but swing's Graphics2D class directly). That worked fine, JNAG made the network part really easy to implement: JNAG transforms each function call into an array of bytes, and Darkstar is used to send the array of byte to the server over the network. On the server side, JNAG is used to transform back the array of byte into a local function call on the object that is the target of the call.

Let me know if you wish to use it, I can explain more and give support, I am the author of JNAG.

karma,

Would I have to structure my data model to conform to darkstar, or is the data model independant ( perhaps via bridges etc ).

Very exiting that JME is the chosen 3d graphics engine for Darkstar, would like to hear how others have got on with networking JME

Hi manxside,

We have been working for a couple of years now on a game Call of the Kings using JME and Project Darkstar. When it comes to how to structure your data I would suggest you ask the questions on their forums. A lot of users there could help you get started.

Just to answer your question about data. You will most likely have to restructure your data. This is due to the way Project Darkstar handles persistance. Basically you must change your server-side data-representation such that every “entity” in your game implements an interface “ManagedObject” and any reference between such “entitites” be replaced by “ManagedReferences”. This might all seems like a quite annoying thing to do, but using Eclipse and refactoring I am quite certain you could do this quickly.

When it comes to networking with Darkstar inside JME all you have to do is make sure that your incoming packages are handled in the main-thread if they are to change anything in the scene-graph (or other JME based data). This is done easily with a synchronized queue that the main-thread empties and the network-threads pump tasks into.

But, as I said, I suggest further questions go to the Forum on Project Darkstar