jME rocks!

Hi fellow monkeys,

I just had a rush of endorphins as I got JMEDesktopState switching finally working

with StandardGame ( my fault, should've looked at the source earlier )

and then while thinking of all the possibilities available through the proof of concept

presented in TestJMEDesktop.java in the test package…

Man does jME rock !

Big props to all the developers…

( beware: boring babbling follows )

I have a long background in testing 3d Frameworks… ( who hasn't :slight_smile:

Obviously I started my own with 2D calls, then I wrote some Quake3 mods, then opengl, then

I took a major leap and bought the torque engine from garagegames.

Man that was a fun time, that

You should have named this "My Biography".  :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome to the forum. :wink:

welcome ray. beware of the frog :wink:

Are we going to hijack this thread too?  :roll:

To stay on-topic and have an excuse to post: Welcome, and let me just express the what you mention to be your quest for the holy game engine is at least close to mine, and I am sure of many others as well. Hurray for jME!

Welcome to the forums, it was fun reading your past experiences.  Glad jME fits you so well.

If you have time, you might consider posting your experience as a review of jME here: http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=78

good reading! i think you should be made a reporter on some big magazine :slight_smile:

yeah, isn't that water lovely s  8)

hope to see more of your creations ahead!

Edit: hope to see any creations was what i meant offcourse  :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks to all for the nice responses,
I really appreciate them !

@renanse
done :)

@darkfrog
I will read (maybe even use ;) ) many things from you soon, as I am about to implement networking next.

@ sfera
never underestimate the frog ;)

paranoid said:

@ sfera
never underestimate the frog ;)

i never did.

@renanse: wouldn't it be appropriate to change the status of jme on devmaster from alpha to production/stable?

Once we've released 1.0 I think we can official call it production/stable.  Until then, by definition it's not. :wink:

which definition?  :?

Definition of versioning my friend.  There is a reason 1.0 is specifically something we’re striving for and not continuing to version 0.54.

For more information see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

I’ll see how many things I can answer today with simple wikipedia references. :slight_smile:

not having the version number at 1.0 doesn't mean it isn't stable or good enough for production.

If games like Bang Howdy being played every day are not 'production quality' then what is?

Perhaps it could at least be bumped up to beta? Everyone loves a good beta. :smiley:

(That’s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_cycle#Beta for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphibians. :P)

Funny, I wanted to suggest to release a 1.0 instead of 0.11 but didn't felt

I had the knowledge to do that so far.

I seems as MrCoder is eagerly looking for more people to consider

jME, so I suggest you really just release a 1.0. From a marketing point of

view it would help tremendously to get more attrachtion. And reality

shows, as others have mentioned too, that jME is rock solid…

To be more precise, who in the holy cirlce is waiting for which features for jME to become 1.0 ?

Ray.

:smiley:

The next release is scheduled to be 1.0.  Until then, I personally feel that it's beta as in Google's use of beta.

Edit: I'm not sure how to get that changed on DevMaster, but I won't personally really care to push on it until we hit 1.0.

renanse said:

The next release is scheduled to be 1.0.  Until then, I personally feel that it's beta as in Google's use of beta.

Edit: I'm not sure how to get that changed on DevMaster, but I won't personally really care to push on it until we hit 1.0.

That's essentially what I was trying to say, but failing to do so apparently. ;)

I was in no way trying to say that jME was not production quality or stable, but rather it doesn't yet meet our expectations of what we want to "release" for 1.0.  We're currently working on this though and most of the items left are minor issues.

I've contacted devmaster 3 times now after our last release to update the feature set, screenshots with zero response. I'm not sure what the status of their maintenance is right now.

that sucks. this could also mean that the engine list isn't up to date anymore

it probably isn't…neither devmaster nor gamedev seem to be doing updates often